All-in-one desktop computers from Apple. iMacs have been equipped with Intel processors since January 2006.

Display Data Connector on Logicboard broken

Hello there,

it just happened to me today. I broke the data cable connector part on my iMac 27". Is there anyway to repair it, because its actually on the logicboard itself.

I didn't know that I pulled off the display cable with its socket out of the logicboard. I saw that later when I wanted to put everything back on.

Here is a picture:

http://f.cl.ly/items/3u2S290N22090E1R0N0...

Please post a photo of the problem again with a larger circle. It looks like you've cover up what we need to see.

any updates on this? Just did the same thing to a 27" iMac - need to look into fixing as the logic board is crazy expensive.

Helllp I have the same problem. I snapped two pins off. I wanted to sodder the pins back, but I sneezed and I cannot find them anywhere..

Anyone know a way I could improvise pins from somewhere else?

Regards

What ever happen? I have the same problem and Symutech says it's un reparible.

Oh dear. . . lol

It appears as though you've not only removed the connector, but along with it, one of the pins.

A patient and creative solderer with skill could possibly fix it, but it would be tricky.

In cases like these, I believe they're fixable. I've done a few repairs with broken connectors on Apple logic boards myself.

There's only so much we could write to you on the Internet. Haha. If I had it right here, I'd start soldering away! You've just gotta find an engineer who's willing to take a look at it. :)

Soldering things such as that are best done under a stereo microscope and a soldering iron with a 1/64" conical tip.

Absolutely!!! :) Well said.

hello there,

do you guys have any pictures of your work?

do i have to solder everything pin by pin or just pin everything at once?

cheers

I would use solder paste instead of solder wire for this. Are you going to try to repair this socket or install another one? Have you previously soldered under a stereo microscope before?

I would find someone who can do this for me. I never soldered anytime before.

I'm going to replace the socket, i bought a new socket from digikey:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSear...

What do you mean by solder paste? The pins on the socket have to be carefully soldered to the Logicboard right, i mean every pin piece by piece? I cant place just a paste by one stripe right?

Sorry for my bad english. I hope you understand me.

Cheers from Germany

the quality of these pins is very poor, the same problem happen to me so i bought a proper lcd conecter from ebay

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APPLE-imac-27-inch-internal-lcd-connector-FI-X30SSL-HF-/180750151856?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item2a158c70b0#ht_1081wt_1413

and get rid of all the old pins and solder the new conecter with abetter quality pins

good luck

Omar

Omar, can you provide more infer about how you used the new connector from eBay? I lost most of the connecting pins on the logic board, so I'm interested in learning more about how you used a different connector that doesn't require those delicate pins. The actual internal lcd cable plugs into the part that you bought, right?

Thanks,

Joe.

Atilla Taskiran will be eternally grateful.