iPhone 3G

Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

Docking port corroded by water.

Water was wicked in by sitting iphone up right on wet towel cloth everyday for about a week at gym.Connection are corroded and phone will not turn on,don't no if I did further damage by shorting something out inside or do I just replace the dock?

Most Helpful Answer

You won't be able to just replace the dock, I'd say your motherboard is shot so it will need to be replaced. Even if you could replace just the dock, most likely the motherboard would be nonfunctional from water damage or shorting out.

I gave you a - for jumping to conclusions... not all waterdamage kills the entire phone or is irreversible.

by pollytintop

True.. good point. There are many times when the motherboard is salvageable, thanks for the input.

by iTronics Repair

First things first, hopefully it isn't too late. Get the phone dry. Not just the outside, but everything inside too. This means you'll need to open the phone, and dry it out some how. A good way is to leave it in a bag of uncooked rice for about 24 hours.

After you are completely sure the phone is as dry as the Sahara desert, try turning it on again. If it still doesn't turn on, You'll need to start replacing parts. Here are the first few I would suspect:

1. Dock Connector
  2. Battery
  3. Display Assembly
  4. Logic Board (bad news)

If it is the logic that went bad, then your best opportunity is to sell the working parts on eBay and using the money to buy a new phone.

EDIT: Don't use a hair dryer (or other heat source) to dry the phone, or you'll just ruin your phone.

Mentioned Items

iPhone 3G Display Assembly Image

iPhone 3G Display Assembly Replacement

by steve Difficulty: Moderate15 minutes

Anthony will be eternally grateful.