Model A1418 / Late 2013 / 2.7 & 2.9 GHz Core i5 or 3.1 GHz Core i7 Processor

iMac doesn't boot after RAM upgrade and hard drive upgrade

I recently performed a RAM and SSD upgrade on my iMac but after reassembling everything back together, it didn’t boot up, no chime. I didn’t glue the screen back and I tried to have a look inside while the power cord was still plugged. I can see a green LED on the motherboard.

A fews things to note:

• The iMac was unused for several months (The hard drive had errors and couldn’t be reformatted).
  • When the upgrade parts arrived I was so eager to do the replacement that I didn’t tried turning it on before performing the tear down. So don’t know if the boot issue was caused when I did the upgrade or before that.
  • When a was tearing the iMac apart, I noticed some “wet” spots on the motherboard (see attached picture)

Any help would be highly appreciated. I feel like a wasted my money.

Most Helpful Answer

Let’s look at the onboard diagnostic LED’s about midway on the logic board are four LED’s reading bottom (1) to top (4) what are they telling you?

6 Comments:

Hi Dan, the only LED I can see is a green one. I'll have another look and revert back to you. Thanks.

Hi Dan. So here's an update for the onboard diagnostics LED. It's only LED-1 (i.e 1st from the bottom) that's actually lighting up as you can see in the new picture I updated with the post above. It looks like power is reaching the motherboard. Any idea of what's happening here ? I'm starting to think this upgrade is cursed. The LCD slipped when I was removing it, it's all cracked...pffff

Ok, I've found this youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoOchEUP...) and this tech Guide (http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/imac/imac...) Now I understand the purpose of the 4 LEDs. Looks like the issue is the power supply. I'm gonna also give the PRAM battery replacement a try. Hopefully if I can find a new one in Mauritius itself.

Sadly the power supply got damages som how. You also stated the display slipped. Did you damage the connector on the logic board? Takes some pics of that so we can review if you'll need to also get your logic board fixed (replaced)

In fact the LCD was already disconnected from the Logic board when it slipped. It was the second time when I was opening the device to take a picture of the motherboard with the power cable plugged in. I don't think I've damages the connectors. However, the 1st time I was disassembling the device it was a bit hard to remove the power supply maybe that's when it got damage. Still thinking if it's worth repairing...pfff

I'll add pictures of the parts and update the post.

Thanks for your support

Does it have power? If the system turns on but doesnt boot, its likely to be the HDD or Ram. But, if it doesnt turn on at all, its a different issue.

1 Comment:

Hi, my guess is that the device is having power because when I see a green LED on the motherboard. But when I press the power button, nothing happens, no chime, the fan stays still. I've tried to put back the old RAM & hard drive but it's dead

Christopher Adolphe will be eternally grateful.