iPhone 3G

Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

horizontal 'lines' on screen, after a slight 'knock' to back

Hi, I recently managed to knock my phone against a low post in the street. I knocked the back of the phone whilst it was in my pocket.

I've now noticed that there 'lines' at the bottom of the screen - I assume this is possibly due to a dodgy connection to the LCD matrix?

1. Do you think it's fixable [no other visible 'damage' to the screen?

2. or is it possible damage to the logic board?

The 'lines' are on every screen and have the same colour - dark blue? They are even getting longer, though I don't use the phone now?

Thanks in advance for any help - compassion ;^)

This could be caused by two things.

One - LCD connection has come loose.

This is the simple and free cause as all you have to do is take the digitiser (screen) off and re-seat the LCD connection. If this fixes the issue i would highly recommend buying some Anti-Static Kapton tape. This tape is high quality electrical tape with strong adhesive and heat tolerance.

Polyimide Tape

Two - The LCD has been damaged

This is the harder and more expensive cause as the LCD has been damaged. As per the name LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) if it is knocked or bumped hard enough it causes the "liquid" to displace itself possibly causing those horizontal lines you now see. However all you will need to do is replace the LCD and you will be good to go.

Here is a link to the part you will need to buy

Here is a link to the guide you will need to replace it if you do not know how.

Hope this helps :D

Mentioned Items

I had the same issue on an iPhone 4S and I fixed it by warming it up to body temperature for 30 minutes or so. The lines gradually disappeared!

my phone has also horizontal lines at the bottom... is it really working by warming? many thanks!

by ruin3936

it fell from my pocket somehow,i was crouching to pick something then i heard the sound of a screen falling it wasn't even that high it was a bit less then 1 feet with apple I'm getting a cover next time i swear.

binaryop8 will be eternally grateful.