The Nokia N8 is the first device to run on the Symbian^3 mobile operating system and Nokia's flagship device of 2010.

n8 blocked, how to overcome?

when the n8 is blocked, would the main board have to be replaced, or is it done via the gps? cheers

What do you mean by 'blocked'?

How do you suggest finding the owner?

Just because a phone is "blocked" (I'm assuming it has a bad ESN and is blocked from the network) doesn't mean that it's stolen. There are plenty of plausable reasons for this. He could have bought the phone broken, or he could have been sold a phone that was already blocked. I don't really think it's fair to assume that a phone is stolen just because it is blocked (Even though he hasn't really elaborated on the problem)

joe, use checkmend..it'll cost you £2 for a single check. It'll let you know if it is lost/stolen/written off ...if it is listed as stolen then you are stuck. the owner(hopefully the person you purchased from) needs to have the phone unblocked. It is currently illegal in the UK to "unblock" a phone apart from through your provider... if the phone worked and then stopped after 1 week, and you know who you purchased from, i'd ring up the carrier/insurance and report them for fraud... the only other option is to sell overseas..plenty on ebay/gumtree doing just that. You could try to fix the water damage..you may just resurrect your wifes phone and then she'll be all happy again (again)

ps it is also illegal to change you imei.....

I would suggest calling the carrier first, biut being you have no clue about the owner, this may not work and the old owner may have to call for you

If you still have trouble, buy a parts one and if it's used, clear the IMEI or ESN(chris green's tip) first, this will avoid this headache again and if it does, report to that carrier what happened(Chris green)

Also, take the other phone, check for shorts(take a picture, I will copy it to my computer and find them if you wanted me to and mark them for you), take that logicboard and put in IPA(99%) and this may just fix the old one(I know a trick to make the water sensors white again, I will never tell anyone this nor use it anytime soon no matter how much i'm asked or I need it, I will never tell anyone or use it UNLESS the device is so old, I can care less about warranty service)

Here is some advice to virtually eliminate a majority of these blocks done behind your back

DO NOT GIVE OUT THE IMEI TO ANYONE BUT PHONE SHOPS AND CARRIERS(I never give my 2 laser printer's serial numbers out, common sense, clear the IMEI or ESN with a carrier or online somewhere, make sure the IMEI was never changed, then you could be in serious legal trouble(thanks for correcting my knowledge of changing IMEI numbers, I now know better)

good one nick. :-)

Like I said, I though it was only illegal to change the IMEI if the phone was part of a insurance lie or stolen to sell it, wow, I was pretty off!

no, you were just trying to help which is great! go with your instincts though.. if a phone is barred it's for a reason, even tho' chris will disagree with me.

Sometimes for the wrong reasons... people will lie and we suffer by buying the duds, luckily I never got insurance and AT&T requires a deductible and iPhone never had insurance when I got mine nor would I screw the carrier for money like some people

joe will be eternally grateful.