Parts & Tools

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2309 (Late 2009, Core 2 Duo 3.06 or 3.33 GHz) ID iMac10,1, EMC 2374 (Late 2009, Core i5 2.66 GHz or Core i7 2.8 GHz) ID iMac11,1

What wattage does this iMac’s speakers use from the motherboard?

I’m converting iMac Late 2009 speakers into regular headphone jack speakers by soliciting the cables and I connected them right where there is no distortion and they sound good but the volume is low and doesn’t go higher. I think this is because there is nothing powering the amplifier inside the speaker so I need to connect a power source but I need to know what is the wattage these speakers use?

Curious to know how this project turned out for you, as I am attempting something similar with a pair of 2013 iMac speakers and would appreciate any insight!

it turned out good! i just used https://www.parts-express.com/21-hi-fi-c... and it worked like a charm and it kept the woofer and tweeters working together already :))

@Teddy Glad to hear it! I know the 2013 speakers are a little different, but hearing that your version worked gives me hope. Any specific snags to look out for? Or is it pretty much just plug and play? I was considering getting a crossover to separate the tweeters, but maybe it's not worth it!

for me it was just splicing the speaker cables into the amplifier and it was just plug and play, very easy

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Teddy if you like those speakers you do not want them connected as previously described by you. The iMac where those speakers are coming from use a Woofer and a Tweeter amplifier. Your speaker separates the tweeter and the woofer in the plastic case. Each set of white/black cables is for the separate speaker. Connected one set of black and white to power will most certainly put an end to either one of those. If you are wanting to use the amp listed in the preceding answer, connect the two white and the two black from each speaker housing to either L or R. L- (WhiteX2) L+(BlackX2) and same for the right.

Here are the values for the amplifiers

TWEETER SPEAKER AMPLIFIER

AMP VOUT = 7.355VRMS

GAIN = -4.8(20K/17.4K)

MAX9736B APN:353S2042

POUT = 6.76 W INTO 8 OHMS @ 1% THD+N

WOOFER SPEAKER AMPLIFIER

AMP VOUT = 7.355VRMS

GAIN = -4.8(20K/17.4K)

POUT = 6.76 W INTO 8 OHMS @ 1% THD+N

RIN = 17.4 OHMS

FC = 19.5 HZ

@oldturkey03 I don’t suppose there’s any chance you know the specs of the 2013 27” iMac speakers, is there? I’m attempting the same kind of project (though I’m keeping mine in the iMac casing and turning it into an external display). I don’t know anything about audio, but my research thus far has led me to believe I need an amplifier at the very least, and a crossover if I want to get both the woofers and the tweeters working together. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Most Helpful Answer

You need more than a power unit you need an amplifier unit! This will get you the volume.

2.1 Hi-Fi Class D Audio Amplifier Board 2 x 15W + 30W 10-18 VDC

Where would I connect the spliced power cables from the speakers into that board?

each speaker has two white and two black cables, so i should put one white and one black from each speaker into the - and + for R and L. And then the other white and black into VDD and GRD.

Teddy will be eternally grateful.