Parts & Tools

Repair guides and disassembly information for the MacBook Pro 16'' released in November of 2019. Model A2141, EMC 3347.

Can you remove the up/down arrow keys on the MBP 16" 2019? Solved

Is it possible to remove the up/down keys in particular?

I was having issues with the down-button where it sometimes wouldn’t press. I assumed something was stuck under the key, so I plucked it out. Now it doesn’t seem to want to go back to its place. I can get it into place on right side of the button, but the left remains lose and you can lift it up.

In trying to debug and figure out how the button’s placed, I also removed the up-arrow key and now I’m having the same issue with that button, except in reverse. The left side gets snapped into place but the right side of the button remains lose and you can lift it up and play with it

Image attached

So my question is: Have I in fact broken the keys and are they not actually possible to remove? Or am I just doing this wrong? How do I snap them back into place? I’ve tried removing the white butterfly underneath and tried snapping it onto the button but I can’t get the butterfly to stick to the key on both sides, one of the sides just keep remaining lose

Any help would be incredibly appreciated

Tyvm in advance

I have the same problem. Were you able to fix it?

I returned it to the Apple Store and they looked at it and repaired it within a few minutes for free. I don't know if that's because I have Apple Care but that's how I fixed it

It turned out I had broken it. It should be possible to remove the keys but you have to be careful. You can either replace the key or, like in my case, the guy fixed the key itself and popped it back in. It's not exactly like it was before but it's close, and they said I can go and have it replaced whenever I want to (but too lazy)

Thanks. My service point ordered the keys and replaced them within 2 days for free. Not sure if it was because I've used them so many times in the past or because of some apple policy. Won't touch these buttons again, that's for sure!

Manta Driver Kit

112 bits for every fix.

Upgrade Your Toolbox

Manta Driver Kit

Upgrade Your Toolbox

Most Helpful Answer

Apple included this model in the service program almost as soon as it came out:

Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-servi...

Johan will be eternally grateful.