Exposure to Lithium Ion Fumes
I replaced my old iPad mini 4 battery yesterday. I didn’t heat it as I was supposed to, so it was very difficult to remove the battery due to the adhesive. In the process, I bent the battery, heard crunching noises, and inadvertently ripped off part of the black casing with a metal tool to expose this white layer/casing underneath.
While doing this I smelled what smelled like nail polish remover. I did not see any fumes/smoke/flames, however.
1) Was this smell the battery leaking?
2) What did I expose myself to, and is it toxic or carcinogenic?
3) If I did not see any fumes, is it even possible that I was exposed to anything?
4) Does ripping off the black encasing to expose the white layer underneath matter if I did not actually tear through this white layer to the core of the battery?
5) Is my apartment safe to live in?
Is this a good question?