Repair guides and support for the laptop line of Acer's Aspire series for casual home and business use.

Why won't my laptop turn on?

kind of a complicated situation here, so I’m making my own thread asking about it. my laptop is an acer aspire a515-51

• pressing the power button doesn’t turn on the laptop
  • power cycling does nothing (I’ve tried about 15 times)
  • reseating the ram does nothing
  • pressing the reset button on the back of the laptop (the one you use a pin to press) does nothing
  • unplugging/plugging back in the keyboard does nothing
  • repeatedly pressing the button near the ram to “clean” it does nothing
  • taking out the battery results in the charging light not turning on, while it turns on otherwise
  • about a day after the problem first occured, the laptop started turning itself on without my input, turning off 5-10 seconds later, and repeating the process about 10 times just to start again maybe ten minutes later. I couldn’t hear the fans or anything like that starting up. pressing the power button continued to have no effect on anything.
  • ^ after the last bullet point happened, I let the random turning on/off drain the charge to see what would happen. now when I plug in the charger, the charging light flashes orange (this has never happened before) and won’t stop no matter how long it’s plugged in for. pressing the power button while this is happening does nothing.
  • the inside doesn’t look terribly dirty, like yeah it’s not perfect in there but I can’t imagine it’s dirty enough to cause all of this?

I can’t tell if it’s the battery, the charger, the motherboard, or something else entirely, maybe a combination of several things? I don’t want to go buying replacement parts for the wrong things

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

does it have any water damage?

I have a suspicion that it Could be because the room I keep it in is very cold, and the day before it stopped turning on, I was running something that heated it up quite a lot before I could get a fan aimed at it. If that's the problem, what would you recommend I do with it?

@sutorumie how hot do you think it got before you had a fan aimed at it

@vip_aha not enough to melt anything, but enough that I got wary (I've accidentally melted a laptop before, like, 10 years ago and now I'm paranoid) and aimed a fan at it

sometimes the laptop wont turn on if the button near the ram is not always pressed, there is a little nub on the ram door that presses the button. the nub has a problem of wearing off, try putting a layer of electric tape on the nub, so it presses the button.

@vip_aha I taped it down but nothing changed. the charging light keeps blinking and the power button doesn't work

Have to check power button and power supply circuit

ok, explain how

you have to dissemble laptop and check power button, and power supply circuit with multimeter

I don't have a multimeter

the next step would be going through everything with a multimeter

sutorumie will be eternally grateful.