0

crayford
1

Why is my touch screen not responding?

My daughter's iPhone 3G appears to be working normally - it charges and connects to iTunes fine. You can restore and install new software, you can add media. But the touch screen is not responding. It can't be unlocked at all.

Is it toast?

Edited by: mayer ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

2

Nick

It sounds like the digitizer is loose. Remove the 2 screws from the device and reseat the assembly. You'll see if the cables are loose or not. Even if they aren't have a second shot at connecting them. If you still have problems then it's either you got a bad panel or the motherboard of the phone is shot. Oldturkey03 posted the guide in the comments.

Edited by: Nick ( )

here is a guide to assist you with that http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Insta...

Hi nicksmacan. Thanks for your reply. I've replaced the digitizer and there's still nothing. I made very certain that all the cables were properly connected. Any ideas? Cheers

crayford,

Bad digitizer replacement is possible, get a diffrent one or exchange it, try again and report back to me

Nick,

0

Norm
1

Had a locked screen this morning on my 3GS. After a cup of coffee and a quick web search on an Apple forum I found the simplest fix to try first.

Hold down the power button and the home button below the touch screen until the screen goes dark and comes back with the Apple logo. Then leave it alone until the password login screen appears and is active. Then log in.

It actually took me two full reboots before the iPhone seemed to be running without any problems.

Seems to me a software reboot is by far preferable to doing barnyard mechanics inside the phone.