iPhone 4

Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

I can't hear my phone calls unless I put it on speaker.

I can't hear my phone calls unless I put it on speaker, but everyone can hear me fine even if my lphone is not placed on speaker. I've taken really good care of it and have only dropped it once which was a few months ago. I just woke up the other morning after charging it and it no longer works right. I've tried everything such as reseting it and placing half a qtip in the ear bud holder. I have an appointment to go to apple to have it checked out but I live so far from the store that it would really be helpful for me to figure this out on my own. Does anyone know a way to fix it? I would greatly appreciate it =]

what about the other way around? I can hear people but they can't hear me talking unless I put it on speaker....

by Catherine

Where is the top button near the speaker and the earpiece I need help my phone Is only working on speaker

by tichinastrong

Applebaaz you are a genius! I have been googling how to fix this for 3 days and nothing worked until I found your post! Who knew a little push would work? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

by danikerr

that didn't work for me any other ideas

by tom

I think I have solved this problem of my iPhone 5 applying this tricks. Thank you guys.

by Tariq Ahmed Khan

Just push the top area (near the speaker and front camera) by your tumb gently.

That's it.

Thank you applebaaz just saved me trip to apple

by andrejones2004

applebaaz!!! You rock.. I tried everything, including the blowing and nothing.. I just pushed on it like you said and BAM! working again! Thank you!

by amyjerome

Applebaaz, thank you so much!!!!

by Anna Toupitsyna

Thanks applebaaz!!!! Blowing with my mouth worked for me:) Already purchased earphones with mic for $21, since Apple was asking for $129 before tax, to repair it.

by Uyi

Slight press to the top and a blow to the ear plug port... BAM! I'm back!!!

by cheqwon88

Try to record a voice memo and play it back over the earpiece speaker as opposed to the speakerphone speaker.

If you can hear the voice memo over the earpiece speaker, that means it's probably software related in which case a restore in iTunes might fix it.

If you still cannot hear the voice memo over the earpiece speaker, the speaker may be broken/defective in which case you are probably better off taking it back to Apple if it is under warranty. You can also try to replace it yourself if Apple will not.

I would try a restore in either case regardless just in case it would save me a trip to the Apple store.

Mentioned Items

nothing came threw on the voice memo when i took it off speaker. But thank you that was really helpful. If anyone else has this problem, all i had to do was blow in the earpeice speaker. I guess dust just got inside of it. but it now works & it saved me a 3 hour drive to the apple store.

by Molly Carpenter

I love you!!!!!!!!! lol my phone fell the other night, only about a foot from the ground, but after that I had the same issue...no sound except for with the speaker and headphones. I loved the voice memo test, so I tried it...still no sound. So I blew into the earpiece speaker. bam. works again :) Thank you soo much for posting this! I have been reviewing forum after forum. And the nearest Apple store to me is 7 hours away. I am super grateful, thanks again!

by Helen S

i just blasted a load of compressed air in to the headphone socket and bingo i am working - dropped my phone as i was getting out of the car and it landed in the smallest mini puddle possible - i got it out str away and there was next to no water on it - but it wouldn't play phone calls other than on headphones and speaker - but now working after being left over night and the air blast

by justin

YOU PEOPLE ROCK! Same issues, dropped this morning couldn't hear from ear piece, tried the memo test, nothing, blew in the earpiece and voila it worked! YAY ... Thank you.

by aimeeski

OMG, thank you, thank you Molly Carpenter! I have been trying for two days, spending hours online getting answers, following all the instructions and nothing worked until I read your message about the dust, and took a toothpick, and swiped it back and forth a couple of times and saw a bit of dust at the end of the toothpick, then I blew into the ear piece and lo and behold and I can NOW hear people, I love you!!!!!!!! So grateful I found your posting. Have a GREAT DAY!

by Cheryl Endicott

I had the same problem and blowing/pushing didn't work for me either. BUT--this is weird--I tried gently sucking air out of the speaker and then blowing, alternating, and now it works. That's what I do to my headphones to get them to work again as well. Hope that works!!

Sweet a little compressed air in the earphone jack and BAM!!! Working - Thanks!!

Did not work for me, I guess mine is a different issue with the same symptoms. It's a new phone, worked last week, I did not drop it. When I make a call the person can hear me but I can't hear them. It works on speaker, it plays music, etc.

I don't know how to make the voice memo go to the ear speaker, it seems to always play on speaker. Any hints on that?

when you go into voice memo to play the recording, next to the big red recording button on the screen, in the top right hand corner is a small speaker logo it should be colored blue, if you press it, it should go black which deactivates the speaker. the recording should play through the earpiece now

i tried pressing on the top right then left a few times and it worked.

used skype answering app for incoming audio help. tks

just soak a piece of cotton ball with petrol and gently clean the earpiece.it will work out just fine.it worked in my case.

I had the same issues and think it got a little wet from drizzling rain....

So I put it in a bag of rice for a bit and then on the cold setting of the hair dryer on the ear piece. Rebooted it and it works again. COLD setting on the hair dryer! So you don't fry anything internally.

Pushing on the top. Didn't work.

Blowing in the top. Didn't work.

The voice memo trick. Didn't work.

So for those of you out there that get through the suggested tricks above and it still didn't fix the problem. I hope mine help.

;)

Thank u applebaaz that worked!

Blow drying it on cold worked for me. Thank you so much!!! None of the others worked.

Not sure which suggestion worked, I tried them all and low and behold the earpiece works!

Thank you sooo much!

This really works you guys . Thank you so much - Rose

this trick not working. i pressed so many times but nothing happened :(

I can hear my voice memo clearly but other voice no. Plz help

we had the problem where I could not hear the person I called but they could hear me. The same with incoming calls. Could only hear with earphones or on speaker. The solution that corrected the problem was to type on the dial keyboard ##update# an update appeared, I pressed OK and it worked! This was on the iPhone 4s

None of these worked for me i left it in the rain it works perfectly I just can't hear out if the top speaker by the camera help needed please

Just finished fishing mine out of a sink full of water while in a case.. phone was fully submerged for about five seconds but the case was full of water. Got the phone out of the case, dried it off and it still worked, but had the problem with the sound as above. Blew out the headphone jack, gently inserted some tissue to blot moisture, then blew on the earpiece and swabbed it out gently. I can hear calls now just fine, thank gawd. Also packed it into a bag of rice for tonite, just to make sure the water gets drawn out of wherever it may be hiding. But this trick works....used it a few times now. Cheers!

I tried all the above but nothing worker until i tried to shut it down and open it again it's working now yaaaay :)

I've got an iPhone 4S, and also had this issue...couldn't hear a caller unless I put them on speaker phone. My problem was pretty sporadic, and kinda baffling. I live in the Pacific Northwest, it rains a lot here. This holds relevance because I finally figured out that the difficulty only happens when my phone is a bit wet from the rain. Makes sense, because the earphone jack is located at the top of the handset, so it's likely to end up with a drop or two in the socket.

The trouble always vanishes once I'm back inside, and the phone has dried off.

Hope this helps.

Omg literally none of these are working... None!!!!

Thanks applebaaz, error has been resolved.

You guys rock. It works! I must have got a drop of water in it. I, too, live in the Pacific rainforest.

I have it too. I was on bus trip and my sounds just gone! All sounds. Expect if i call someone he hears me and i can hear him too.

It was very rainy but the phone was in bus only... How to fix??

Molly Carpenter will be eternally grateful.