Released September 21, 2018. Models A1921, A2101, A2102, A2104. Available as GSM or CDMA / eSIM or nano-SIM / 64, 256, or 512 GB / Silver, Gold, or Space Gray. (Pronounced "iPhone 10 S Max.")

Swipe up doesn’t work

I have an iPhone XS MAX to fix. This phone had water damage and first stuck on the recovery mode.

i was able to bypass the recovery mode by using the third party software but now swipe up doesn’t work so I can’t get to the menu. Do I have to replace the LCD digitizer for this…? Since it is water damaged, I’m sure there are lot of possibilities but I thought that it’s not something to do with the motherboard since the phone can turn on but only swipe up issue.

I tried to go back to the recovery mode and restore the phone but iTunes gave me the code 4005 and the phone got stuck on the recovery mode again so I used the software to bypass and swipe up issue again.

if you have the same experience or know how to fix it, I would appreciate much.

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

Most Helpful Answer

“Repairing” a water damaged iPhone, especially a dual layer logic board design such as the XS series, is fraught with issues. If this is your own device, thats one thing but if you are fixing this for someone else, you could be in for a world of “warranty” issues. In my experience, unless the liquid damage is very localized in a non-critical area, you are bound to have a one or more latent issues develop over time. Some water damaged phones are easy to recover but others…not so much. Only you have to decide when to cut bait.

At any rate, it sounds like a screen issue as all of the touch related logic is on the screen. The only exception would be some corrosion or damage to the screen connector but you would probably see other issues as well.

Thank you for your advise. First I could remove the recovery mode and see the home screen with swipe up issue but now it went back to recovery mode again and can’t fix it...yes there might be a lot of potential since this is a water damage but I wanted to try as much as I could to fix this some how. I don’t really see that the connectors of LCD being damaged but maybe good to replace the screen with the new connectors first...?

Tik will be eternally grateful.