Danger from punctured or otherwise damaged battery?
today I opened my old iPod Touch to try to repair or bypass the home button.
While doing so, following the guide on this page, I damaged the hull of the battery. The guide suggested prying the battery off carefully with a spudge, which I did. Unfortunately the glue seemed to be quite strong, as some of silverish outer foil stuck to the glue and ripped the battery open. Underneath, within the battery some other, silver surface became visible. I noticed no smell, the iPod is still working.
I wrapped the battery in scotch tape immediately to prevent any moisture from getting inside. I'm unsure how to proceed though - I realize the battery is broken and should be replaced.
I also noticed however, that there were tiny punctures anyway on the label side of the battery, resulting from small pieces of dust which managed to get into the iPod and between the battery and the rear panel. So maybe it is not necessary for the outer envelope to be airtight?
Nevertheless I need to know: is there any imminent danger I should be aware of? Is it safe to store the battery in my home until I can dispose it properly or is there a risk of fire involved?
Is this a good question?