Skip to main content

Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

1370 Questions View all

I dropped my iPhone 7 in the water for a few seconds

It fell in the water for about 15 seconds and now the home button doesn’t work and the speakers are much quieter now. It just happened but I don’t have my tools to open it or any rice to try and dry it with. What can I do to fix this if at all.

Update (07/31/2019)

After about 8 hours the phone is now fully functioning. Just needed to dry out a bit.

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0

Comments:

It’s been a few hours now and the speakers are working and the home button is starting to work now

by

Add a comment

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Shop Now

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Shop Now

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

With water damage, you have to decontaminate the logic board before doing anything else, otherwise there will be latent issues down the road.

Not every water-damaged phone is recoverable and depending on the kind of liquid (salty, dirty, filthy), sometimes the success rate is quite low. That said, IMHO, it's always worth a try otherwise we are just piling up the e-waste.

The rice myth kills too many phones...

The water is inside the phone, on the logic board and under the shields, even under the IC's. The rice is nowhere near where the water is. So while it “may’’ soak up some water vapour, the real problem is the mineral deposits that can cause short circuits or the corrosion that is taking place as the water evaporates. Leaving the power on the device accelerates the process. The longer you let a phone sit in rice, the more time you are giving corrosion to damage your logic board. The saltier or harder the water is, the more damage will occur. The water needs to be displaced, not evaporated.

The proper way treat a wet phone is to do the following:

  • Open your phone and remove the logic board (follow this guide)
  • Inspect the logic board, especially around the connectors and look for corrosion.
  • Inspect both sides of the board. Unfortunately, most of the board is covered in shields. That's usually where the damage is occurring.
  • Put your board in a container with >90% isopropyl alcohol and let it sit for a while.
  • Use a soft brush, like a toothbrush and lightly brush away any corrosion you see.
  • Rinse in alcohol and repeat.
  • Let it air dry for a day.
  • Re-assemble and hope for the best.

You should also replace the battery if it has swollen. Resist the temptation to pop it to let the gas out. A compromised Li-ion battery is a fire hazard. If the device appears to power up but behaves erratically, then use a tool like 3uTools to flash the firmware as it may be corrupted.

A professional repair shop that does water damage repair may be able to recover your data because they have access to pro-level ultrasonic baths and specialized cleaners as well as the skills to troubleshoot your board. Many shops have a no data/no fee policy so you don't have to spend money to find out if the data is recoverable or not.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2

Comments:

Lol @refectio u should add a final step of slapping the person who told them rice fixes phones :)

by

Yes lol I knew the rice was bad if it stayed in for too long

by

It's bad because it's not doing anything at all... really nothing apart from wasting ur time, wasting ur ability to make a nice pilau rice or ur rice dish of choice, rice is food it has not magical phone fixing abilities.

It ruins ur chances of fixing the phone because the time it is in the rice if the water is extensive it is corroding components, shorting circuits and generally doing harm, best thing to do with water is to try ur best to dry it as much as possible as fast as possible, even leaving it in a dry warm place and leaving it off at an angle so volume buttons are facing down is a better thing to do than rice... turn it off and dont charge it. That is the bare minimum in my opinion if u have no tools available, iphones have their boards opposite to the volume buttons usually so keeping it on its side with volume buttons facing down should make the water head towards the battery away from the board.

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

Brendan O'Rourk will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 4

Past 30 Days: 30

All Time: 71