Apple's operating system for its Mac desktop and portable computers.

Install disk won't boot at clear install

I've just bought a new HDD for my 13" Macbook Pro. I have followed the steps to install the HDD, did everything right,then i put in the Leopard install disk (got it with my previous Macbook) and I held down the "option" key until the icon came up to launch the install disk. The problem is that when i click on the icon nothing happens, the cursor stops moving and I hear the dvd drive stops working after a while. I tried holding down C, but nothing happened. What can be the problem? I have checked the disk before I changed the hdd and it's working fine.

Thanks in advance!

The gray disks are machine specific. You can call Apple and get the one your your new machine for $15, but it will only work on that series of machine. You'll need to get a retail 10.6 disk, or wait a week + for Lion. They both cost under $30. First format the new drive using Disk Utilities and then install you system.

But you should be able to boot from the DVD anyway. When you start installing you get the message "This installation is not for your machine etc…." You agree? If you have any kind of Intel Mac you could use any install OSX DVD to boot and access Disk Repair. I have done that several times.

Andi will be eternally grateful.