Model A1136 / 30, 60, or 80 GB hard drive / black or white plastic front

sync stops after 16 gig's (long)

ok I have a gen 5 iPod Video, I have been trying to sync my music and it stops after only 16.2 gigs. I have changed my Itunes library and it still does it. I have restored it several times. I have even reformatted it with windows then restored it. Same results. When it stops syncing it frezzes up. I have to unplug it and then it restarts, and it shows I only have 128 songs. but under the menu I have 16 gigs under "other".

I don't mind replacing parts but it seams to work, just wont work correctly.

First, try reformatting the iPod drive from the C:\ drive, and then go back to iTunes and try to restore it there. Does it show up with any "other" data used up as user Bac answered or does it just freeze up after so many GB?

If reformatting and restoring the iPod doesn't fix the problem, I would bet that the hard drive is going bad (especially since it's a video iPod). Replace the hard drive and I bet it works again!

Ya I have reformated it just about everytime It locks up. I restore it and same results. I am going to try to move a little music at a time to see if it is a bad file. going to do it at 1 gig at a time. at least then I can narrow it down if thats it. I dont mind replacing parts but I dont want to completly rebuild it looking for the bad part. Thanks.

Iam having the same problem. So i feel your pain. But i think in my problem its the hard drive. I already replaced the battery. But i cant get mine to restore or sync it. So from what i can tell its the hard drive. I have spent days trying different things to sync it before saying its the hard drive. I just hope you trying the same thing doesnt drive you insane like me!

I really do believe it is probably a bad hard drive.

Most Helpful Answer

that 16GB in "other" makes me wonder, it sounds unusually big... perhaps you have something in your iTunes library on your Mac (or PC?) which is causing the problem? perhaps a corrupted file... maybe when iTunes gets to syncing that corrupted file it croaks.

here's what I would try

- create a new user with an empty iTunes library (or just a few MB of songs) and try syncing under that user. see if sync still stops.

- if that works re-import some or all of your songs into this new user's iTune library, then try syncing again with this now larger library.

- back under your user, with your original iTunes library, open up Console (I'm assuming your on a Mac...) then sync and see if there are any error messages in the Console that might give a hint. if you're on a PC, I'm not sure if you can get a similar error log like in Console.

are you using iTunes 9? and do you have music or videos you have purchased from the iTunes store? if so, another thing to try is to go into iTunes, then under the Store menu, Deauthorize your computer, then re- Authorize it again after that. there are reports that this fixes some people's problems syncing with iTunes 9.

This link should help .http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1210 This shows you how to isolate a corrupted file and how to proceed. Hope it helps. If not, you might have a more serious Drive problem.

james will be eternally grateful.