1995-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

The Chevrolet Cavalier is a compact automobile produced from 1982 to 2005 by General Motors.

Gas vapor smell

i have a chevy cavelier and when its been running .like i will go for a ride the weather is hot no a/c but i will stop at a store .after getting back in the car i will start it and sometimes smell a gasoline smell? could you tell me why. there are no gas leaks on the ground. none any where

Most Helpful Answer

Lynn, I would look under my car after I shut it off to see if anything is dripping. Also check your tail pipe and see if the smell is coming from there. Next I would take it to an AutoZone and get a free computer diagnostic to see if it is reporting anything.

Wouldn't hurt to check. +

by rj713

This answer was originally to another question.

I believe the charcoal canister is responsible for dealing with gas vapors Check your EVAP vent valve. It controls fresh airflow into the EVAP canister. It may be closed, should be normally open. Definitely check all hoses that go to your charcoal cannister and make sure they are working and not cracked and/or loose. You may be due for a canister replacement and an evaporative emission system cleaning. Good Luck and let us know if any of this helps you out.

In both my 2004 Caviler and my 2005 Colorado P/U I get the same occasional odor. Problem only seems to happen with gasohol in the tank. Wonder if the alcohol is somehow passing through the filter easier? When it happens it only happens when starting and just for a few seconds. +

by rj713

Could be a fuel rail leak on the line that supplies gasoline to the carb. you may not see liquid as it will evaporate on top of the hot intake.

doesn't have a carb

by oldturkey03

If there are no spills on the ground than that means any leaks that might be present are very small, and the gasoline that leaks out is evaporating, which is what you're smelling.

Answers.com has a very good reply to a similar question:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_would_a_ca...

take oil filler cap off and check if petrol smell is there. if there is petrol in oil then big problems will come ( oil will be more fluid and not pump everywhere, leading to big end failure). might be leak in petrol pump.

Check the gasket on the fuel fill cap. They crack with age and may be allowing vapors to escape as the fuel expands in the tank. This can also cause the check engine light to come on.

lynn will be eternally grateful.