2.3GHz, 2.6GHz, or 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache.

MacBook doesn't turn on, no light on magsafe 2 charger

Hello everyone,

Last year the charger of my macbook got faulty and stopped working, also the macbook turned off.

Lately I aquired myself a new original magsafe charger 2(85 watt) but sadly this did not help. The macbook won’t turn on and the indication light on the charger stays off.

The battery wasn’t its best anymore, I did have a battery service message and sometimes the macbook would go off around 35%.

What could be the cause of the not turning on/charging? and is it fixable ?

Thanks in advance

Jeroen

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

Most Helpful Answer

If the MagSafe cord LED is not lighting that’s a sign the systems MagSafe connector needs cleaning or replacing. Review this Apple T/N Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters Jump down to point #7

Here’s the needed MagSafe connector for you system MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2012-Early 2013) MagSafe 2 DC-In Board. You could also have a bad I/O cable as the power goes to the I/O board and then through the I/O cable to the main logic board MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2012-Early 2013) I/O Board Cable

If you disconnect your battery your MagSafe charger should be able to run your system.

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2012-Early 2013) MagSafe 2 DC-In Board Image

Product

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2012-Early 2013) MagSafe 2 DC-In Board

$39.99

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2012-Early 2013) I/O Board Cable Image

Product

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2012-Early 2013) I/O Board Cable

$19.99

Thanks for the suggestion I wil take a closer look to the connector. I will recieve a pentalobe screwdriver so I can inspect the inside of the macbook and decide if i need a new DC/IO cable. I will report back if i got any results!

I ordered the parts and tools. This week I'm going to replace the mentioned parts. I will update with results.

Extremely worn battery? Miscalibration?

Does that make the charger not do anything? I did look up some articles but almost all of them talked about a macbook that could be turned on or a charger that functioned. Mine doesn't have both of the options.

Maybe try a different charger? Or try charging a different macbook with yours.

Jeroen will be eternally grateful.