iMac Intel 20" EMC 2105 and 2118

Model A1174 with 2 GHz Core Duo or Model A1207 with 2.16 or 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo

Is it possible to install a SSD

Hey guys of ifixit,

Is it possible to install SSD to my iMac 5,1 20" (Late 2006)?

Thank you for your help.

I like the 3.5" OCZ Vertex drives for desktops. The 2 series will work just fine for you. Just do a web search for "OCZ Vertex", you'll find them all over.

Most Helpful Answer

SSD's are normally 2.5 inch drives. your iMac has a 3.5 inch drive. you will need an SSD that has an adapter plate or purchase a seperate adapter plate. Many SSD's come with one included.

Ah okay so it is generallay possible and I need an SSD who supports SATA not SATA II. Thank you.

by macfanaticje

was that negative towards me or for the comment from the OP on my post? pretty much any SSD will work and it's best to have the adapter plate to be able to mount it securely is what I said.

by pierrej

Does it matter if it's a sata-1/2/3 ssd for this type of mac?

by Jacob Boje

Yes it should be a SATA III

by originalmachad

This systems SATA I/O speed is only 1.5Gb/s. Best to stick with a SATA I/II 1.5/3.0 Gb/s SSD. SATA III is a waste of money and could be a problem if it's not auto sensing.

by Dan

You could also swap-out your optical drive to hold your HD and use the SATA port for your SSD.

Review this Answer if you think you might like to have your cake and eat it too ;-}

macfanaticje will be eternally grateful.