Repair guides for Android cell phones manufactured by ALCATEL.

Alcatel Idol 5s charging problem

My Idol 5s (from Cricket) is charging strangely. It’s either charging very slowly or sometimes not at all. This is happening with multiple cords and chargers (computer, car, home). I think I may have slightly ‘wrenched’ the charging cord out last week, so I think I may have either loosened or bent something in the charging port.

My husband is very tech savvy and comfortable taking things apart. Is this something we can fix ourselves? Does anyone have any guides on disassembling the phone to look at the port? I’ve had the phone for approximately 20 months, give or take. I still have insurance on it, so I’m not sure if I should just take it in to have them look at it or work this on my own.

Any advice is appreciated.

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

Most Helpful Answer

Hi @pippity ,

Use a strong light and a magnifying glass to inspect the USB charge port enclosure.

Check if there is any lint or other debris in there which may prevent a good connection. If there is do not use a metal pin or probe to try and extract it, as you may damage the pins or cause an electrical problem in the phone. Try using a vacuum cleaner to try and suck it out.

If it fails to dislodge it, use a sharpened wooden tooth pick to gently prise it out.

Also check that all the pins are there and that they are straight and parallel with each other and not missing or bent.

If the port enclosure seems OK try the following to determine if the USB connector may be loose from the systemboard.

Insert an appropriate USB cable into the phone’s charge port only. Do not connect the other end of the cable to anything.

Then while firmly holding the phone in one hand, with the other hand grab hold of the plug inserted into the charge port and gently, stress gently try to move the plug up and down and side to side to check if you can “feel” any movement in the USB socket at all.

If there is (or even if not) the phone will now have to be opened to ascertain the problem.

I cannot find a teardown video of your phone to see if the charge port is mounted on a separate module (making for an easier replacement) or if it is mounted directly onto the motherboard which would require SMD soldering skills and tools to do the repair.

As a final thought, check your insurance to see if this problem is covered or not. If it is a loose connector it may be deemed to be “misuse or abuse by customer” and it will not be covered. Just so that you are aware of the possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uexBNVOU...

If I remember correctly, this is a very similar model. It has the loading dock on a daughter plate that could be replaced without much complication.

overgivande will be eternally grateful.