A television game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, also known as PS4. First announced February 20, 2013 and released November 15, 2013.

Is the Optical Drive Daughterboard swappable?

Howdy. This is more of a wanting to know and if so type question. Basically I know that on PS4 the optical drive and motherboard are paired. But from my understanding, the optical drive has a daughterboard that has the chip that pairs with the motherboard. I am wanting to know if I can move the daughterboard from the old optical drive and put it on a new optical drive or does the daughterboard and motherboard have to be replaced together?

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

Most Helpful Answer

@car34 check with our friend @tronicsfix on here t “You CAN replace your optical drive! The trick is that you need to find an optical drive that originally had a daughter board with the same number (010 or 020) as the one you have. After you get it all you have to do is remove the board that came with the replacement drive and install the one that came off of the bad optical drive that you are replacing onto the replacement blu ray drive.” Nobody knows more about consoles than this guru!

@car34 read this again :"need to find an optical drive that originally had a daughter board with the same number (010 or 020)"

As long as you have that large square chip from the original daughterboard that you can transplant onto the replacement daughterboard it will work fine. If you don't have that chip there is no way to pair the drive and the motherboard.

The drive pairing can be retained by swapping the board, but the laser pickup calibration will be off and there is basically no way to recalibrate.

For most drives this shouldn’t be a big issue, the controller chip has some sort of self adapt range, but don’t expect the drive to perform as good as new.

I have Never ever seen an optical drive with a non removable PCB :)

however you will need to make sure the drive assembly and optical pickup are the same as the one for your consoles PCB

It just I never done one and I wasn't sure how integrated it was. I couldn't find anywhere that would just say that they can be swapped. Only that the motherboard and daughterboard had to be replaced or having to marry the old chip on the new board.

yeah the drive keys need to match but you can remove the paired PCB onto your new drive assembly. Sony use multiple drive assemblies and pickups depending on the revision of console the type of assembly and optical pickup should be printed on the parts

Carlos Ramirez will be eternally grateful.