Parts & Tools

Model A1419 / EMC 3070 / Mid 2017 / 3.4, 3.5 or 3.8 GHz Core i5 or 4.2 GHz Core i7 Kaby Lake Processor (ID iMac18,3) / Retina 5K display. Refer to the older iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display (Late 2014 & 2015) guides as the system is very similar.

"Upgrade" iMac 5k 2017 CPU to 6700K

Is it possible to upgrade my iMac’s (2017 27“) CPU to 6700K (instead of 7700k)?

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Why would you use an older CPU than the one the system was designed to support? iMac18,3 - 27” iMac 2 (5K, Mid-2017)

Hi Dan, thanks a lot for the info. I asked this question because I am wondering whether I can reuse the CPU i7-6700K from my HP desktop.

I would just use the correct CPU the series was designed to support. Apple tends to limit the systems firmware to only what the given series supported.

Hi, Dan. I totally agree with you about the CPU... but I have a slightly different question: is it possible to swith it to a newer CPU, let's say i9 9900K?

Supposedly, both iMac [2017 & 2019] share the same socket [LGA 1151].

Thanks in advance for your answer!

@masterq - It comes down the micro code within the systems firmware! Clearly, Apple can't foretell Intels direction before Intel knows them selves. So they just can't have the newer micro code in the firmware.

Think it like the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears!

The CPU needs to be within the Intel's 7th generation CPU's: Not older and not newer, just right!

Thanks, Dan, for that clear & fast answer!

We must leave it, then, as it is... not a bad configuration at all!

We can still change the HDD for an SDD and increase speed, and reliability... while decrease whirrings! ;)

i7 7700K 64GB RAM 2TB SSD PCIe + 2TB SSD SATA 580 8GB 2017

CKYY will be eternally grateful.