iMac G4

Originally known as "The New iMac" the iMac G4 was created to replace the iMac G3 as Apple's all-in-one desktop computer. The G4 is easily recognizable by its swiveling monitor mounted above the hemispherical computer. Steve Jobs quoted it as being "a design that will last till the next decade."

Why doesn't my iMac G4 start up from a DVD

I am trying to erase the hard drive in my iMac G4 and re-install a clean system. I have tried several times to start it up from the iMac OS X install DVD (system 10.1.2)and also the iMac software restore disk, (holding down 'C' key)but it keeps booting from the hard drive and ignores the DVD. My Mac still has duel systems installed OS X (10.3.9) and 9 (Classic mode)- is this causing the problem, please help?

Try holding down option and see what that gives you, it should go to the boot selector, in which case you should select the DVD.

Most Helpful Answer

Go under the Apple in the upper left hand corner to "about this Mac". more info > Hardware > ATA and see if your Mac still sees the drive. If not you may need to replace it. An alternative is to get an external optical drive. To can also start it up in Target mode if you have another Mac and use Disk Utilities on the other machine to handle this G4s hard drive. Here's how to do it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

rob cook will be eternally grateful.