The original Xbox is Microsoft's first widely popular video gaming system. It has an easily identifiable black case with 'XBOX' emblazoned on the top and front. Repair is easy with common tools.

Which laser do I need? (Rev.A Samsung SDG-605)

I got this Xbox along with a 2nd one as a lot yesterday. The first one worked but this 2nd one has given me a lot of grief with the laser. I have tried to clean it and then adjust the trimpot on the laser and it still does not work. I have come to the conclusion the laser just can’t be saved.

In addition, I maxed out the trimpot at 3.11 before you can’t adjust it further without getting into damaging levels of power.

Since I’m at a dead end with this Xbox, I need to know which laser I need based on the model provided in the title. I don’t think it matters if I mix up drives in the Xbox as the drives aren’t paired (that or it doesn’t matter as of 2010; AKA Xbox Live V1 shutdown) but I’m not sure - I know my 360 is paired, but I don’t know about the original Xbox. I see more Thompson drives then Samsung and it’s known the Thompson drives have more problems - I’d like to stay with Samsung if at all possible.

SOH-D12 should fit yours but we would need to see what yours looks like. SOH-D12 and SOH-D16 covers most of the Samsung’s

Not sure what you are referring to with the 1.4 etc.

Anyhow, if you check your pictures you will notice that your laser is labeled. Yours is a SOH-DX1 and available at places like this and many others.

Pictures are added. I've tried to adjust the laser and it still doesn't work at 1.4 ohms. I've been trying to get it working and it still hasn't work at 1.2 ohms. If I can't get it going at 1.1 ohms, I'd rather condemn the laser then risk it because the limit is 1 ohm.

I didn't add photos because I was under the assumption ALL of them use the same part rather than 2 possibilities since these are custom console drives.

Nick will be eternally grateful.