fan connector damaged at plug (pins loose from board) can it be fixed?

Is there any solution for a fan on mid 2010 mbp if pins are broken off board at connection?

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Ever fixed something? That’s Genius.

Share your repair story with #ImAGenius

We Are All Geniuses

Share your repair story with #ImAGenius

Most Helpful Answer

Generally speaking yes, someone into component level repairs would be able to solder a new connector in place. However without seeing the board conditions is hard to tell for sure, you should enclose to your question a couple of good definition pictures.

Thank you so much! Have to open unit up again to get pics, maybe I'll have some time this weekend. Thanks for the answer in any case, I was afraid I would have to replace the whole board!

@esal If solder pads are still in place it's a very straightforward repair, otherwise one might need to create some jumpers. When you have time to post pictures we'll know better.

I sent my laptop with a friend that has a soldering station, he reports it is fixed and fan is working. Haven't had a chance to discuss the details of the repair with him yet but he did say it was quick work. In hindsight I could have avoided the whole problem by leaving the fan connected to the board when I removed the board to access the cpu heat sink. I was replacing heat sink paste when this occurred. Live and learn! Thanks for responses, I was a bit panicked.

esal will be eternally grateful.