2.2 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz), 2.5 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.7 GHz), or 2.8 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 4.0 GHz) quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6 MB shared L3 cache.

SMC error after battery change

I changed my dying battery with one from ifixit. After putting in the new battery I reset the PRAM and SMC and turned the laptop on. From then on, the fans blew at full power constantly and kernel task was crippling the CPU. Diagnostics showed error PFM007 - there may be an issue with the SMC. The old battery was destroyed during removal, so I couldn’t try putting it back in. I was sent a new battery from ifixit, but the problem persisted. SMC and PRAM were reset numerous times, nothing changed. I installed istats to see if anything looked out of the ordinary, everything looked fine except missing temperature data from the palm rest.

So my questions are - is it possible to reflash the SMC to an earlier firmware to see if the problem persists;

and can the palm rest temperature sensor be causing these issues, and where is it located (I read somewhere that it’s part of the trackpad ribbon cable)

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

I’m suspecting you damaged the trackpad cable MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2015) Trackpad Cable or the trackpad its self MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2015) Trackpad which is where the palm sensor is located.

Apple doesn’t tell us what the discreet PFM007 error means other than it’s an SMC error.

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2015) Trackpad Image

Product

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2015) Trackpad

$89.99

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2015) Trackpad Cable Image

Product

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Mid 2015) Trackpad Cable

$24.99

i got a new cable but the problem persists, im going to try the trackpad then. thanks

Most Helpful Answer

i think the fans running at full speed can be caused by a broken palm rest temperature sensor. as far as i know, when the system detects one of the temperature sensors doesn't work, it makes the fans run full speed (that's at least what happened with my iMac when i broke the hard drive temperature sensor. You might've either damaged the sensor or the cable during the removal of the old battery. I don't know how to replace that palm rest sensor though.

T Tomov will be eternally grateful.