Early 2011 model, A1278 / 2.3 GHz i5 or 2.7 GHz i7 processor.

Upgrade to Bluetooth 5.0?

I know there is a 4.0 Bluetooth, but is it possible to upgrade to 5.0?

Ian and Dan,

Thank you both for your answer. It is most helpful!

You would need an external dongle that supports bluetooth 5, but yes. All bluetooth 5 devices are backwards compatible though, so they will already work with your bluetooth 4.

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your answer. I now have a MacBook Pro 13” (early 2011). It has 2.0 Bluetooth at the moment. Can I change the card inside to a 5.0 card or a 4.2? Or is it only possible to change that airport card to 4.0?

Yes, if you get a later card that supports it and fits in your mac. There's guide of the replacement here:MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Early 2011 AirPort/Bluetooth Board Replacement. I don't think you can get a card that supports beyond 4.0 from what I've seen.

@ian_ Is correct! You can go to Bluetooth 4.0 MacBook Pro Unibody (Early 2011-Mid 2012) AirPort/Bluetooth Board

There was a point you could have upgraded your internal AirPort board a few years ago to 4.1 for HandOff support. Broadcom did create a board that was a direct drop in. Sadly, it was an engineering run that no one picked up and Broadcom only did a limited run and that was it!

Given the connector interface used in this system is now no longer being used by Broadcom I don't see any 5.0 Bluetooth support ever coming to the older Mac's internally.

Ian and Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to answer. This is most helpful!

Richard HP will be eternally grateful.