2

Eric Perez
35

MacBookPro does not power up on AC power or battery.

I've noticed a number of "My Macbook Pro won't turn on" posts here, but my symptoms seems to be different (read: worse) than the other posts that I've read, such as this one.

Here's what's going on:

I have an A1226 15" MacBook Pro (mid 2007) with serial number: W872218YX92. I can't get it to turn on; whether it's plugged into the AC adapter or on a battery, I get no visible or audible response from the machine when I push the power button--none of the lights turn on, none of the fans spin, etc.

I've read about the nVIDIA 8600GT issue, but I don't get any response from the machine at all, so I'm not sure if that's what the problem is. The other thing I've read could be at fault is the 'Left I/O' board', but this thing wont turn on when using AC or a battery. One thing I haven't tried yet is to open it up and check the top cover power switch; is the power switch something that frequently breaks?

Lastly, when the MagSafe adapter is plugged into the machine, the LED on it always glows green--whether or not the battery is plugged in. When the battery IS plugged in, the 'charging' LEDs on it do not light up or blink and thus the battery does not charge.

Edited by: Eric Perez ( )

YOU GUYS ROCK In less than an hour I went from dead to everything running great. THANK YOU ALL

pm3149,

8

Victor Clausson
127

Make sure you have the right power supply. MacBook Pro's uses 85W power adapters.

MacBook and MacBook Air uses 60W power adapters. That's why my MacBook Pro didn't start.

You can find it out by looking at the power adapter.

I figuered it out by multiply the voltage with the current, like this for example:

V = 16,5V

A = 3,65

16,5 x 3,65 = 60,225W so it's was a 60W adapter I was using.

Which was the wrong type of adapter.

All of the Apple chargers are marked with their wattage, look on the plug side side panel. Granted, it's hard to read as it's a very light grey print on the white case, but it's there.

Dan,

WOW. Thank you so much Victor!!! :-)

Marte ,

17

victorclausson
205

Hi!

I'm having the exact same problem after reflowing my logic board.

But I found a way to always make it boot.

- Unplug the battery.

- Unplug the magsafe power cable.

- Hold down the powerbutton for about 10 sec and continue to do that.

- While still holding the powerbutton down, insert the magsafe power cable and hold it for another 10 sec.

- Release the powerbutton after those 10 sec and make a "normal" press as if you would normally

turn on your computer.

If that doesn't work then try to remove one RAM memory and switch places and do the method that I told you.

Woohoo! It worked,finally! I knew about the ten second thing after you take the battery out, but I never tried it the way VictorClausson described (thanks man!). I was pulling my hair out because I knew there was no reason for my mbp not to boot up just because I didn't have the battery in. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed because I'm hoping those 'nice' folks at the Apple store will replace my swollen battery for free. It looks like a 50-50 chance, based on my research.

Drummergirl,

Mr. @Victor Clausson's answer worked & iam able to start Macbook Pro with 60 w adapter. Thanks a lot. Krishna

Krishna Moorthy,

WOOW...I had the same problem that I couldn't turn on my mac at all. I tried what Victor Clausson said and now it is working..Thanks a lot Victor!

Ami,

Hello All, I just wanted to follow up with everyone and post the solution that worked for me. I just noticed @Victor Clausson's answer today, even though it was posted a few months ago, but what he's describing was exactly the issue I was running into. I was using a 60W MacSafe adaptor from my 2011 13" Macbook Pro to try to power the machine in question on. Since the battery was completely dead, 60W was not enough to start the machine up. Once I used an 85W MacSafe adaptor, the machine powered up fine.

Eric Perez,

Thank you Victor. Got my Macbook Pro powered again when I thought I had killed it. Your tip to disconnect battery, hold down power button, reconnect power cord etc. worked. Thank you so much. -Peter

Peter Bentivegna,

3

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

The very first thing I would do is to reseat the Uppercase cable to the logic board as your machine does not seem to be getting a start signal. Check your battery for swelling. Do your restarts without the battery in. MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo Models A1226 and A1260 Upper Case Cable Replacement

Thanks for the fast response. I took the top case off and tested the power switch by closing the contacts under the switch and also closed the ones at the end of the cable, but still no response from the machine. I even tried unplugging the monitor, DVD, and HD cables, but that didn't change anything.

Eric Perez,

Remove the battery and AC adapter. Press the power button for 10 seconds. Attach the magSafe and try to start (no battery).

mayer,

Sorry for the delay is responding. I tried doing what you said, but it still doesn't respond. There's something seriously wrong with this system.

Eric Perez,

With the battery dead and getting nothing when trying to power on, I would replace the magsafe board first.

mayer,

2

lemerise

Remove completely the top case (unplug it) and try to boot the machine directly from the logic board. Search for the power icon (same as the one on your power button) on the logic board, near the icon there should be two small solder pads. Just briefly bridge the two pads with a small jeweler flat screwdriver (ac adapter must be connected). If the machine power on then your top case power button could be faulty, if not then the DC in board (or the logic board) could be the problem.

Here's a pict from a macbook logic board. Search for the same power icon on yours or PWR letters.

1

Chris Parelon
13

reset the SMC works but you need to follow this and to do all the steps in the way i describe (for macbook pro with removable battery):

1 - Remove the battery with magsafe connected

2 - Remove Magsafe

3 - Hold start button for at least 5 seconds

4 - plugged Magsafe connector

5 - plugged the battery

The light change green to red. Wait 10 minutes and the computer start !

See ya

0

Tom Kelly
1

even with the 85 watt power supply, I could not start up... On my own I figured out the same process as @victorclaussen. Unplug from power supply. Push down on power button. reconnect power supply. Machine works.

Yes, SMC reset can resolve power problems like this.

Dan,

Did you find a solution? I have the same problems as above. The SMC reset does not solve my issue. Everytime I do the SMC reset, the computer's Power on button is non functional. Only wayI can get to the OS is the trick Victor Said. Once Im in, the backlight on the keyboard, the power charger, and battery indicator show NO LED's. The fans are blowing out tremendously. There is No battery in the icons at the top of the screen either. My battery was severely wearing down and would only last 15 minutes off the charger max before this happened. I plugged a 60 watt charger into my macbook pro and thats when the problems started. Although, I have plugged my macbook pro into 60w chargers often but when the battery was in better condition. I took the computer to Apple store and they say it is "vintage" and they cant fix it for the flat rate. They diagnosed it but all it says is the computer is not reading the fans, the sensors, or the battery.

awthentik,

by the way, this forum has been the most helpful already. Thank you.

awthentik,

0

nvrl8nmy68
1

None of this has worked for me. When I try the reset with battery and power out of it and then replug power while button is held in, the fans go wild but nothing else. When I try battery and power out of it, hold power down for 10 seconds, replug Magsafe and battery back in,and try to start it, I hear the optical drive spin once but nothing else. The battery shows fully charged.

I guess my only other option is to disassemble it and see what happened. I think an 85W power supply I had for it that was not from Apple directly, may have done something to it. It seemed awfully warm during the charge process; however, the battery does show charged. That same power supply sparks when I go to connect the Magsafe to the computer. I just hope I didn't fry the board.

0

Timothy Jones
1

The power button turns the computer off, but not back on.

Yosemite OS X 10.10 on mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

__________________________________________________________________

I have:

1. replaced/soldered a new keyboard connector on the logic board as it had a missing pin,
  2. replaced the keyboard twice (the second and third keyboards work correctly),
  3. tried jump starting the computer on with the jumpers but this did not work,
  4. performed many PRAM resets,
  5. repaired Disk and Permissions in Disk Utility,
  6. ran Apple Hardware Test in short and extended mode without any issues identified,
  7. attempted to do an SMC reset (although I don't see any sign of rather it happened or not)

Does anyone know why the power button would turn the computer off, but won't turn the computer on? This is even though removing the mag safe, removing the battery, and then reconnecting the mag safe power supply does turn the computer on automatically. Once on, the computer appears to work absolutely perfect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Timothy

Edited by: Timothy Jones ( )

I have the same issue

Kirk Ellis,

I have found no solution, yet. My MacBook Pro froze up last week with a black and white checkerboard screen that I'd never seen before. I had to pull and reconnect the battery to turn it back on, after using the power button to turn it off.

Timothy Jones,

0

joe
1

hi, i found an old macbook pro a1226 and have not been able to start it up...i plug the magsafe green light turns on then hit power , No response on the screen, however the fans start up inside making noise as if it is on...I have tried without the battery as well...still no response...Any way to help me out would be greatly appreciated...if this can't be fixed was hoping to remove the intel core 2 duo processor and replace the core duo from my old iMac and upgrade it...Anyone know if this swap can be done?

0

Juan
1

Thanks i found out that i was using a 60w magsafe instead of 85w probably i got my mothers one instead. :( i coul eventough start it doing the pressing start button and plugin the 60w magsafe but the funtionalitty was erroneous, no wify no bluetooth shutted down suddenly fans full spin.. Finally i plugged my 85w magsafe and started normally. The battery is dead so im waiting for the new one. I hope that the logic board didnt suffer too much when i booted it with the 60w magsafe. When i booted it normally with the 85w one i noticed that some projects in ableton live werent going as fluid and it seemed like a loose in processor. It also shuted down as if there were cuts in the energy coming from the magsafe. Some kind of weird thing. I hope that everything stabilizes wth the new bat. Thanks for the info in general!