0

Tango36
1

Replace DVD drive with new SSD drive

In the internet, there is a "hardwrk SSD/HDD-Adapter-Kit" available for MacBookPro5.1 and later (unibody only). Do you have any idea, who to replace the DVD drive with a SSD in the older MacBookPro4.1?

Just added a WD 750GB Scorpio Black. Works like a charm. If you want to have fast without paying too much then you can get the Seagate Momentus 750GB which has 8GB SSD Cache. It's the second fastest drive after SSD. I tried for the fun of it to put my SSD Sandisk 240GB on this bay. I found that it is much slower compared when you installed on the original HDD bay which is 1.5Gbit/s. I think the DVD bay which has PATA speed works well with any normal HDD. For now, SSD is for OS to run the laptop smoothly and HDD is for all my read and write. My Macbook Pro early 2008 is now on turbo mode. Although it's only 1.5Gbit/s, it's fast!!!

Danny Lim,

3

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

I believe this is the optical bay adapter you're looking for, to be certain please give the last three figures of your serial number: 9.5 mm PATA Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

9.5 mm PATA Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

Add a hard drive to your laptop by replacing the optical drive with a second hard drive. Compatible with all MacBooks (excluding Early or Mid 2009 MacBooks, MacBook Unibody and MacBook Air) and all 15" MacBook Pros (excluding Unibody). 9.5 mm Internal ATA — 50+ available at 39.95 each.

Many thanks for the link. It's the A1260 (2.4 GHz (Penryn) MacBook Pro 15"). However, I learned today that Apple was using the PATA-standard then and I would need an adapter PATA-to-SATA. Besides the additional costs, speed seems to go down quite a bit. Any experience with PATA/SATA adapters and SDD drives?

Tango36,

This is the correct adapter for your machine.

mayer,

Thanks. Did you miss a link?

Tango36,

Sorry. I meant, do you know which PATA/SATA adapter may work for this configuration?

Tango36,

0

Ryan
1

It's probably too late to say this but the PATA to SATA connection would slow an ssd down quite a bit. It would be better to put a hard disk in the CD adapter and put the ssd in the normal SATA disk drive sled.