13" aluminum unibody, 2.0 or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor.

What diagnostic software is available to troublshoot MacBook/iMacs

What diagnostic software is available for the unibody A1278?

TechTools Pro is my favorite. Some also like DiskWarrior. Also your original system installation disk contains diagnostic tests when you use it to boot up holding down the "D" key, the only problem is understanding the results because it gives it in code.

I would not rely on AHD beyond basic level testing. Not only is it limited, but most machines will not have it built in. I know on my 2009 MacBook Pro, it isn't. You would need to put the install media in the computer and press D to get it to work. 2010 and beyond are far more likely to have it then 2009 and older.

As to the codes? Well, you have to pay Apple over the phone to tell you or take them to the Genius Bar. If you take it to the Genius Bar, Apple will run ASD on the system and it will be more specific then AHD. Giving them the codes for an intermittent fault will at least help them know where to look if it somehow passes. For places without a Genius Bar, you have to Google them and hope they show up or call Apple and pay them to tell you.

Codes that only help Apple and not the user (owner) are extortion. What if you aren't close to an Apple store? Do I call Apple and get charged $45? We the people really deserve to have those codes.

and what about regions and countries that do not have the resources available to them like we do? There are places out there where you have to be your own "Genius"

Michael will be eternally grateful.