Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

What is apple serializer software?

the question id like to ask is regarding software. i came across a seller on ebay selling brand new motherboards for apple computers. he states that all boards are brand new, no serial number "burned" and use of Apple serializer software is recommended.

my question is: is this possible, or its just another lot of crap from china? if so, where could i get this software? i never could have find it anywhere...

ahem, i probably made mistake. it should be serialiser... but the question still apply. is it possible?

Yes the software exists and is used by Apple Authorized Service Providers when changing out logic boards for warranty work. It's very closely guarded.

Yes, this is absolutely true. As an Apple Certified Mac Technician, this is needed (Balnk Board Serializer) to be installed AFTER a new logic board is replaced. Boot up on CD, you will need to add the NEW serial number there where it indicates to do so, then follow the instructions, make sure you select "add or confirme" (don't recall exactly what it mentions), then restart. This process will assure that you will not have any issues during the use of your Mac, good luck!

Sorted. I've had it with Apple and their persistence in trying to cut out 3rd parties. Link to the serializer in my answer below :)

FYI, if you are not an AASP, or not employed with a company that is an AASP, you can purchase refurbished, and or used boards from a 3rd party provider along with a warranty, where I'm going with this? I purchased one for my MBP (mid-2009) and installed it, now, knowing that I might need to serialize this, I have the "Blank Board Serializer" and booted off this disk, however, when it booted to add one, it indicated that it didn't need it! I've been using my MBP and it runs great!

You only need it when installing a brand new board that has never been installed.

Wow my answer was insta-deleted, and the content was removed from my Mega account in a matter of minutes. Have posted the link in the comment below, let's see if it survives this time ;) Screw you Apple mods :)

Here is my 2 cents.The system serial number is set on the logic board by a special software disk, which allows the number to be written to the logic board firmware. Apple provides the 'Serializer' CD to Authorized Apple service centers.It will not work if the serial number already exists (even if the serial number is all zeroes), so you can't change an existing serial number.Writing the serial number to the logic board is not possible without that utility CD.

What I am trying to figure out is, what software would require the serial software, to function. I am not a Mac person but I do not think that there is such a big difference that any software would require the system serial number. I would think that the presence or in your case the absence, of a system serial number would be an issue.

It's really only valid for warranty purposes and fraud prevention,

It makes sense. Like I mentioned, I do not think that any of the Apple software would really need the system serial number

I use it to make sure that boards I replace in out of warranty machines, stay the same board.

Techicnaly, there are other ways to add/change the motherboard's serial number by using special hardware, but just like the serialising CD, it is beyond the reach of end-users. Mac OS X shouldn't have a problem with a computer with no serial number.

OT & Dan email me if you need it.

You don't have to serialise the motherboard. Assuming that the "Serialising Software" does what I think it does. (Modifies the motherboard's firmware, and changes the unit's serial number) It wouldn't be easily (or legaly) obtainable. You should be able to just install the motherboard and go. However, could you post a link to the eBay listing?

FYI, the serial number is needed when using iMessages with Apple ID, otherwise it will give you an error and iMessages won't log in... everything else work just fine...

Not the same thing here

So then how do you fix iMessage?

Network apps like iMessage use the MAC and/or the IP address assigned to your system (network address). Some apps had used the systems serial number to lock the app to the system. I don't think anyone is doing it any more. If you brought your system into Apple a red flag would go up as the system would be thought to be stolen! And besides you couldn't check your systems specs if the logic board was swapped out from what the system had.

And you'd be completely wrong. When you log into iMessage or FaceTime Apple check your MLB and ROM serial numbers and cross reference them against your hardware UUID (recorded the first time you log into an iCloud service). If your MLB is not in a whitelisted block issued to legit Apple hardware, or your ROM serial number is invalid wrt to your MLB your logins will fail and your iCloud account will be flagged.

@MacDavePro - You may want to review this: Universally unique identifier Apple has a Black list not White list of known stolen systems. It's built when you use Find My iPhone & Find My Mac as well as systems logged from an Apple Store.

Messages, FaceTime and Game Centre use the serial number from the logic board when trying to connect to the service.

See this article.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3970?viewl...

Curtis this Apple TN is about your Apple ID. Not the systems serial number which is held in the systems BIOS (EFI).

palokiller will be eternally grateful.