Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Why is the replacement battery not consistently recognized?

I had a crappy battery that would last less than an hour on my 2012 Macbook Pro. I ordered a replacement kit from iFixit and followed their guide for swapping batteries. My new battery is fine for a while, but will eventually not be detected within a couple hours or days. I have removed the battery and reinstalled the same one twice, and each time, it’s fine for a bit, but within hours or days, it’s undetected again. What’s going on, and how do iFixit (ha)?

coconutBattery screenshots:

With undetected battery, plugged into charger:

With battery detected, not plugged into charger:

With battery detected, plugged into charger:

SMC (this is the closest distance I could get my phone to focus at):

It does look like it needs a bit of cleaning. Can't tell but I do see a bit of discoloration. I think you'll need to find someone with micro soldering skills and the needed tools to touch up the solder joints around the SMC.

Most Helpful Answer

Well, it sounds like you have another problem here ;-{

First lets get some better diagnostics, download and install this gem of an App CoconutBattery We need to snapshots one with the MagSafe connected and a second with it removed that way we can see what the system does. Granted this will take a bit of effort (and luck) to get the info. once you do post it here for us to see Adding images to an existing question

The battery sensors within the battery are working!

Did you by chance have a liquid spill at some point in the past? Or, get the back edge of your system wet? This looks like the SMC chip logic has corrosion damage. Here is the location of the SMC chip marked in green:

Will do. I'll have to take apart my computer and reconnect the battery to get it to work without the MagSafe charger since it's currently undetected. Will that alter my results at all, or should I do both tests after I've temporarily fixed the problem?

You got what I needed to see ;-}

Nope, I haven't spilled liquid on it other than a couple drops of apple juice that made the touchpad a bit sticky, which I cleaned up with rubbing alcohol. I have had a RAM slot go bad, but that's all I've had go wrong with this computer. Everything battery-detection-wise was working just fine until I switched the battery out, and I haven't spilled anything on it since then. To get the battery detected again, I just have to unplug the battery and plug it back in. I have no idea why. If it were an SMC chip logic issue, isn't that odd timing for it to occur at exactly the same time I swapped my battery, since I know it didn't come into contact with anything liquid during that time?

Pop the bottom off and take a nice tight shot of the chip I pointed to so we can see whats up.

Katelyn Ogburn will be eternally grateful.