6.1 megapixels, ISO 200-1600, DX format, 1.5x field of view crop

The body of the camera is getting sticky

Dear Sir

Iam noticing that body of my d70 nicon camera is getting sticky. What can Ido to solve this problem?

Hope that you find a solution.

George Sciberras

Malta

sticky as in when you touch the camera, or sticky as in the components of the camera are getting stuck?

will this work on the gopro 1 body?

Will this work on fujifilm finepix HS50 EXR????

Most Helpful Answer

for the body of the camera you can use Edwal film cleaning solution or 91% Edwal film cleaning solution or my personal favorite, a 90+percent isopropyl solution (your local pharmacist would be of great help if you can't find it). Take a cloth and dip it in the solution and wring it out so that it is almost dry and wipe the body off. You can also use an old, soft toothbrush or small model brush dipped in the solution. Isopropyl alcohol works great to clean off cameras; any excess moisture that gets in the camera will evaporate quickly, and the alcohol works well to remove grime, grease, oil, etc. Hope this helps, good luck and may your camera soon sparkle again.

Thanks for your solution I hope that it works.

THANKS VERY MUCH

GEORGE SCIBERRAS

MALTA

you are very welcome and do not forget to post pictures from your location.....:-)

Thank you oldturkey03 for the advice! It worked real fine on my Nikon bodies. :-)

Isopropyl alcohol worked a treat. I then buffed the grips with a small amount of Armorall on a cloth for an as new look and feel. Thanks.

Following the advices here, I rubbed my old F80 and D70 bodies with pure Isopropyl alcohol (99.8%) and a lint free cloth, and both recovered the original grip and look. It's a job that one has to do with plenty of time and detail to get a perfect finish, but it's worth the effort. I have a AF-S DX 18-70mm zoom that needs the same treatment on the focus grip. Just be careful to do it in a well vented room (Isopropyl alcohol is harmful if breathed). Thanks a lot for your help!

Thank you for your help too! My D70 was very sticky. I went to the pharmacy and got Medical Spirit from Prime Corporation UK. It doesn't say which alcohol % it is, but my body is now like new. Miracle!

Many thanks for all the advice above, my D70 also has a sticky baody problem. I emailed Nikon UK but never received a reply!

I contacted NIKON and of course, they cannot endorse a cleaning process or formula that is not Mfg. Recommended. The official reply was to purchase a new part. They had none in stock. They suggested contacting Nikon camera repair shops that may have a clean non-sticky back. My camera has travelled the world with me, and there is no guessing what may have been on my hands or in the air that caused the back to degrade and become sticky. Alcohol sounds promising. Anyone interested in a 1995 Nikon N 70 body in great shape except for a sticky back?

I used Isopropyl alcohol - it came up as new

Thank you so much! I used the Isopropyl alcohol solution on a sticky D80 grip and it worked wonders.

You shouldn't have to do that in the first place. The material is breaking down and it probably will do it again when it gets hot. I'd look for something that doesn't contain material that breaks down like that. I have Many knife grips that do the same thing imma try that solution.

I cleaned my Nikon camera with Isopropol Alcohol and it worked. It appears that the rubber is affected by persperation and becomes sticky. Take your time as I may need several attempts to clean off the sticky layer. Tried contacting Nikon many times but without any response!!

Has anyone tried soap and very warm water? Applied with a cloth to dampen the back and remove the dirt and perspiration (salt) ??? Just asking?

When you say that Isopropyl Alcohol worked, do you mean you wiped it down and let it dry and the original texture returned??? What % Alcohol? I believe Pharmacies sell 71% and 91%; which was used?

Does the sticky layer come off, or jus return to a rubbery feel?

Could someone detail the process a bit? more?

THANKS!

Alcohol just makes it stickier and then the black comes off on your hands...any other suggestions?

George Sciberras will be eternally grateful.