6.1 megapixels, ISO 200-1600, DX format, 1.5x field of view crop

The body of the camera is getting sticky

Dear Sir

Iam noticing that body of my d70 nicon camera is getting sticky. What can Ido to solve this problem?

Hope that you find a solution.

George Sciberras

Malta

sticky as in when you touch the camera, or sticky as in the components of the camera are getting stuck?

will this work on the gopro 1 body?

Will this work on fujifilm finepix HS50 EXR????

If company's now know about this why do they still use the process of coating hardware products with it. Cameras such as Canon and Nikon make expensive high end products and to have this coating breaking down either the camera or the lense ruins the product. As an e.g. I have a mobile phone from 1993 and the keypad on that too has finaly gone sticky. I can't clean it as the numbers are transfers put directly on to the coating which will ruin the keypad if cleaned. Concidering the age I'm supprised it had not broke down before now. Most modern products do farley quickly.

Have you handled the camera after using DEET bug spray? This is a known culprit for "melting" the material on some plastic-based camera bodies. Ask me how I figured it out: On assignment photographing bird tagging in the woods and spray myself with DEET first. I posted this on the internet as much as possible as a warning for other photographers.

for the body of the camera you can use Edwal film cleaning solution or 91% Edwal film cleaning solution or my personal favorite, a 90+percent isopropyl solution (your local pharmacist would be of great help if you can't find it). Take a cloth and dip it in the solution and wring it out so that it is almost dry and wipe the body off. You can also use an old, soft toothbrush or small model brush dipped in the solution. Isopropyl alcohol works great to clean off cameras; any excess moisture that gets in the camera will evaporate quickly, and the alcohol works well to remove grime, grease, oil, etc. Hope this helps, good luck and may your camera soon sparkle again.

Thanks for your solution I hope that it works.

THANKS VERY MUCH

GEORGE SCIBERRAS

MALTA

you are very welcome and do not forget to post pictures from your location.....:-)

Thank you oldturkey03 for the advice! It worked real fine on my Nikon bodies. :-)

Isopropyl alcohol worked a treat. I then buffed the grips with a small amount of Armorall on a cloth for an as new look and feel. Thanks.

Natrual soft rubber will deagrade and return to its "Non-Vulcanised state". It is actually slowly "un vulcanising". Molecule cross links breaking back apart that were joined in the rubber vulcanising process, and becoming liquid in state. Handling or sitting, you can not stop natural soft rubber from "going back home".

The top surface is effected 1st which then deepens and deepens until you could wipe the entire rubber off with cloth after 25 years. More rigid high vulcaising rubber will powderise back to dust. (like 50 year old tyres)

Using alchohol will merely disolve and strip the top liquid rubber layer off, back to the "still rigid" rubber underlayer. You'll need to do it again in a few years.

Following the advices here, I rubbed my old F80 and D70 bodies with pure Isopropyl alcohol (99.8%) and a lint free cloth, and both recovered the original grip and look. It's a job that one has to do with plenty of time and detail to get a perfect finish, but it's worth the effort. I have a AF-S DX 18-70mm zoom that needs the same treatment on the focus grip. Just be careful to do it in a well vented room (Isopropyl alcohol is harmful if breathed). Thanks a lot for your help!

Alcohol just makes it stickier and then the black comes off on your hands...any other suggestions?

You want it to go into a [preferably white] lint-free lens wipe. If it is going into your hands it is probably not low moisture alcohol or Isopropyl. Ask pharmacist for "absolute". Mine looked more yellow than black - you must be pulling out the carbon black which is not good.

I dried it up with baby powder. Worked it into the areas most gummy by hand and used a compressed air can to blow off excess. Gently wiped area with microfiber towel and the tacky is gone...for now. I know it's a chemical break down and will continue but for now at least it's usable...

Coat it over with a thin film of lacquer or transparent nail polish. It will stabilize the rubber.

George Sciberras will be eternally grateful.