Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Using used backlight coil?

I have two 3gs one with a bad backlight coil and the other i believe the logic board is fried because i swapped out the battery and dock with a good one and it still doesnt work. My question is can i take the coil off the bad board and put it on the good board?

yes

would it be safe to remove it from the board with a 30watt soldering iron? Its all i have right now

i wouldn't...you'll melt more than you want to. follow lemerise link to the soldering iron on amazon

Would it be alright to use a plain 15watt with grounded tip from radio shack until I can afford the $40 weller

of course, i was just saying that if you use a higher wattage you will produce more heat than you want in such a small space. use the 15watt with a small tip, flux/solder and it should work out a whole lot better. you don't have to buy a weller but they are good and if you plan on doing more soldering i think in the long term you'd be pleased with it. you can pretty much repair your own iron/buy spares and it will hold a good resale value if you decide to upgrade to something fancy. it's a great starter..

i had success with replacing the coil it worked out great thanks

Jared will be eternally grateful.