Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

iPhone 7 slow boot, home button not working

I bought a faulty iPhone 7, the screen was broken. So I put a new screen on, only the home button extension cable was torn, so the iPhone was booting slow and the home button didn’t work. Everything else worked fine once it booted.

Now I’ve replaced the screen again, but the home button still doesn’t work, it still boots slow and now also the microphone isn’t working anymore. It was working fine before. Also the camera and front speaker are working just fine.

Can this be the audio IC? I didn’t do anything weird with the phone or the motherboard, and it was definitly working before, or what else could it be?

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

Most Helpful Answer

If you bought the phone already damaged, it is possible that the previous owner tried to repair it (or had it repaired) and damaged the Home Button. You should inspect the Home Button very carefully, look for micro tears or damage to the connector. Then also inspect the flex that goes from the HB, underneath the heat should and eventually connects to the logic board. It has a 90 degree bend that tends to rip easily if your not careful.

As for the microphone issue, while it could be a discrete issue (dead microphone), the problem could be related to the Audio IC. This can happen seemingly out of nowhere and usually follows a reboot of an affected device or following a repair which can put that “one last drop” of stress on the logic board. Once rebooted, the phone exhibits symptoms that were never present before.

The iPhone 7 series of devices have proven to be very unreliable, suffering from flex-based issues similar to the iPhone 6 Plus (Touch Disease). On the iPhone 7, the fault line runs along the top of the SIM card reader and affects the Baseband CPU and Audio IC. Any short copper traces running perpendicular to the fault line while connecting to micro-BGA pads, is subject to failing.

On the Audio IC, this particularly affects the C12 pad/trace although there are 4 pads/traces along the fault line. Of those four, the C12 pad (I2S_AP_TO_CODEC_MCLK) is the most critical as it is a communication protocol line between the CPU and the Audio IC.

Here are the typical symptoms, as collated by the repair community:

1. Voice Memos app / Loudspeaker on call - greyed out
  2. Siri doesn’t hear you / Caller can’t hear you
  3. Most other Audio related issues that aren’t solved by modular replacements
  4. Long boot times (3-5 minutes)
  5. iTunes detects the phone but stuck on the Apple Logo

This is a repairable problem but it requires a micro-soldering repair. Although it can be a routine repair for an experienced tech, it can go sideways very quickly as the Audio IC is directly opposite the underfilled Baseband CPU.  An unqualified tech can apply too much heat and cause massive problems. So do your due diligence.

But that isn't the cause of the home button not working right? The audio problem could be the audio IC indeed, but i doubt it.

My bad, I had written a paragraph about your Home Button but I must have deleted it when I pasted over some common text on the audio ICI issue.

You are correct, the torn HB flex is the cause of your HB issues but what I wanted to point out is that the Audio IC issue can also cause long boot time problems, as well as laggy response. I'll edit my answer above.

Roan de Graaf will be eternally grateful.