Why does my screen have ~3/4" brownish shading on both sides?
iMac 24" ECM 2134
- Shows in all brightness and background settings
- Capture screen does not show the brown
- More pronounced discoloration on right side (maybe)
- May be "growing"
- Computer on all time unless away for extended time (rare)
- Use moving screen saver till it goes in sleep mode (3-5 min.)
- Cleaned screen - no difference
- No direct sunlight on computer
- Rest of computer works fine
Thanks for any help!
I had really hoped someone else would jump in on this question. I'm fairly sure of what the problem is but would like to get some confirmation. To eliminate a couple of possibilities, start up from your system installation disk by inserting the disk and holding down the "C" key. See if the screen stays the same.
UPDATE - I personally have the 2009 2.66 24" iMac. Bring yours by tomorrow afternoon and I'll see if I can switch out the LVDS cable and the inverter and maybe even the screen to isolate the problem. My first guess on this is the screen. We can probably get a used one for about $450 and a new one for $700. The used would carry a 90 day warranty.
The screen was successfully replaced and all is well.
Maybe I'm too late, but I have the same question and I gave myself this answer: if you open the iMac, you may notice that two coolers is exactly behind the LCD, in the "brown zone". I think it's a overheating caused by hot air flow; in fact, when the iMac is powered on by only few hours, the brown shading is absent, or far less visible.