Cricut Gypsy blue power light comes on, screen stays black

The gypsy machine is made by Provo Craft and used for arts and crafts. I have one that I am trying to fix because the power light comes on, but the screen stays black. The company no longer makes or repairs this product. I took the device apart and see that a wire is broken that is part of the orange component that connects the screen to the mother board. I have uploaded images of the motherboard and the picture with the arrow shows where the wire is broken.

I do not know how to replace or remove this part or any other part. Please take a look and see if there is anything else that looks broken, I am very new at this. I really want to repair this because I have a lot of cartridges linked to this machine and they can’t be linked to another machine

Thanks so much!!!

i tried calling computer repair stores locally and contacted provocraft. No help thus far.

I cant find an item number for this device.

Hi @sundaychampagne ,

Your images are not showing.

Here's how to do it Adding images to an existing question.

Does the device have a model number?

Thanks for your reply and help with the pictures!! I am looking for an item number.

You are right, it does have a sticker on the outside with the model number. It is gpsy001. (Don’t know how I missed that before) All of the gypsy devices have the same model number. I am now searching for a service manual.

I’m honestly not sure how this break in the wire happened. It was working fine, I was using it, had to step away for an hour or so, came back and the blue light was on, but screen was black. I tried resetting it, and recharged it. Then I took it part to search for any obvious damage. That wire was the only part that looked damaged to my untrained eye. I am getting an ohmmeter today and going to teach myself how to use it to check for continuity.

Again, thanks for your help!!!

Most Helpful Answer

Hi @sundaychampagne ,

You may have to re-assemble the device to try the following.

With the device switched on and set up to display an image, try shining a torch at an angle close to the screen to check if you can detect an image at all.

It will be very faint so try it in a darkened room to help if you can detect an image.

If you can then hopefully the rest of the device is working normally but you have a backlight problem with the screen,

This is not as bad as it sounds as you say that the wire is broken, looking at the first image it appears that there are only 2 wires in the cable, I suspect that this cable is the backlight power cable from the motherboard to the screen.

Depending on whether it is permanently connected to the screen or it plugs into or is soldered onto a connector on the screen will determine how to go about getting it fixed.

Thank you!! I did try to see if there was a faint image, but did not see anything. I’m going to add some more pictures because there is a number on the back of the screen and the 2 wires where the one is broken are attached to this bigger orange component. Also, I have other gypsy devices that work fine so would I be able to just swap the broken screen for one from a working device?

Hi @sundaychampagne ,

Not seeing an image when there should be one is not good. It indicates that there are more problems.

I assume that you tried to reset the device?

Also I'm wondering how the wire got broken.... as it is inside the device.

Are you sure that it is broken? Can you actually see a full break between the "broken" edges of the wire? Can't see it too well from the images you posted. Can you check it with an Ohmmeter for continuity?

Hopefully you can find the model number and that perhaps given its' age a service manual may be out there somewhere.

It's unusual that a product doesn't have a label on the outside somewhere giving make and model info/power info etc.

The other gypsy devices would have to be exactly the same model etc as the faulty one, otherwise there is no guarantee that it will work or even that it may not cause some damage.

Without a schematic diagram of the gypsy devices (if they are different) it is too difficult to work out if it will work

Sundaychampagne will be eternally grateful.