General Motors' GMT400 platform.

Reset Instrument Gauge Cluster

any ideas on how to reset cluster? Fuel gauge wildly inaccurate and want to eliminate gauge before dropping tank.

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Those early 2000’s Chevy trucks are notorious for having bad stepper motors in the gauge cluster, I don’t know if your ‘99 would be affected by this but I would start with this repair before replacing the fuel level sender. I’ve seen this problem and performed this repair successfully many times. I’m including a video of the process. It’s not shown in the video, but I always replace the LEDs while I’m in there. They’re typically included in your stepper motor kit. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFApzUn5...

I have the exact same problem on my 01'. The gauge usually sits on E, and 10-20 min after I start driving it'll finally work its way up. But even then, it's not completely accurate. I've noticed that when I shut off the engine & open the door, a couple of the guages will bounce & go back down. We need a fuel pump, the filter keeps getting clogged & sometimes it won't start unless we bang on the fuel tank a few times. (unless it's a different problem that we don't know of?) so we were hoping that w/ the new pump, since it comes w/ the floater or whatever it's called, it'd fix the problem lol. So we'll see if resetting the cluster helps!

rzethraus will be eternally grateful.