Released April 2010 / 2.4, 2.53 GHz Core i5 or 2.66, 2.8 GHz Core i7 Processors

15-inch MBP (P8700) upgrade options?

I have a MacBook Pro 5,4 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz 15-inch (P8700) Model Number A1286 and wanted to find out if replacing the motherboard with an i5 or i7 processor motherboard was possible (plug-n-play, that is). I seem to remember that the first i5/i7 15-inch MacBook Pros had the exact same model number as my Core 2 Duo machine, leading me to believe that internal mounts match mine.

Good, measured advice. Yes, an upgraded system involves more than just a faster processor.

My laptop is experiencing some trouble connecting to an Apple 27-inch LED Cinema Display, something that never occurred when I connected to Apple's 20-inch Cinema Display. I apologize for not submitting a legitimate repair question, however… I was more curious than anything else if the motherboards were swappable.

Thanks for the feedback!

Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor more than our dads—let’s celebrate all the mentors who taught us how to fix.
Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor those who taught us how to fix.

Before you destroy the resale value of your MBP, check what it's selling for on eBay. Subtract the price of a new logic board from the price of the new model to know which way to go.

Todd Wheeler will be eternally grateful.