The PlayStation 3 Slim is the second version of the PS3 video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was released September 1, 2009.

ps3 slim turns on then right back off

The ps3 slim was giving to me by my sons friend. His father through it though the window and the cover cracked and now it will not start. I know but I - We should be able to fix it with the right parts or knowledge.

When I plug it in there are no lights but when I press the power button the red power standby light comes on. I press it again and the green light comes on, out lights on power and disk buttons come on, and the fan runs for a sec then it shuts down with all lights out.

I tried holding the power button in to check the video output and try to reset but it shuts down after a sec. It only beeps once when I first press the power button.

any luck funny enough ive got the same issue picked up a slim that had been thrown now when you starts up turns on then off and nothiing else was just wondering if you have found a fix yet

I ordered the security driver so I can open it to see. I will let you know if I find anything. Please do the same if you find the problem.

Did you try throwing it back in through the window to undo the problem?

It could at least surprise your "son's - friend's - father" ... smirk!

Please help me. I have a ps3 and my mom dropped it and all of a sudden its been making strange noises when I turn it on and it turns off once I turn It back on.... I don't know what to do... Somebody please help me

please i need help when i put on my ps3 and select a game to play like infamous or watch dogs after it finishes loading the game suddenly beeps off i am tired of try please someone should tell me how to fix it.

You should open the console, and look inside. If it was thrown through a window, then there'a a good chance that the internals were damaged.

Chris Green - you mentioned that the console should be opened up and the internals checked.

If the internals (such as the motherboard) are damaged, what would be the route to go?

Mines wasnt throwen out a window it just keeps doing that what should I do? Please help

If the mainboard is damaged then you should forget trying to repair it and go for replacing the system. You will save a lot of headache in the longrun

Also there is no absolute answer for this. The final answer will be dependent of what is damaged in the system. When you are dealing with a system (PS3, Xbox, Computer, ETC.) that has been thrown or dropped the cause for the it shutting off like this could be anything from damaged power supply all the way up to damaged mainboard. The fixes for these run anywhere from replace the part, to reball, to replace the system. You really need to take it to someone who repairs these professionally.

change power supply

To eliminate the hdd as the problem, unplug the ps3 from the wall. remove the hdd and then plug back in. turn on the ps3 WITHOUT the hdd in it. Don't worry it doesn't harm it at all. If the problem is the hdd , you will see a "data storage not found" message on the screen and the ps3 will not shut off.

If after you remove the hdd, and the unit still shuts down and you never see that message ...the problem is NOT the hdd.

90% of the time when this happens, its actually the motherboard not the power supply. The power supply is quite large and incased in a tough piece of plastic. The motherboard on the other hand has 2 very thin metal plates on each side, with the weight of the power unit, cd/bluray/dvd unit, the fan...all resting on it, if it fell it probably jolted something.

you must to open the console then open the power supply and you will see two white screws, turn them to left 10º. Afther that put it all inside and have a nice gameplay

i did this and my power supply doesnt have any screws

my ps3 power supply looks nothing like that one

first of all check your power supply if you still have the problem check your mother board you should have a broken capacitor (the light brown)

I know you can give capacitors in any department?

sounds like you have bad power supply

its the hdd gone bad you need a new one i had the same problem so i put a 20gb hdd in to test its works fine

Hope this helps but I just had the same issue with my ps3 slim and after a few hours of fiddling I found that my problem was the power cable to the mainboard was dicky maybe a corroded wire but after moving it around abit it worked fine. So after I replaced it from a box of spares parts I have its up and running fine!

One way-which worked for me-Is to open up the playstation and take the parts out(including the disc reader and fan). Under the fan is a leveller, somehow make that leveller level, then put everything back in place and screw it up. Hopefully after a few tries it should start up normally. ENJOY!!!!

that is the dumbest thing ever! a leveler? really? god all of you people are idiots! so a ps gets thrown threw a window or droped and you retards are trying to figure out the problem? heres the problem....IT GOT THROWN THROUGH A WINDOW OR IT GOT DROPPED! thats the problem! buy a fawking used one. *!&$!&$^ you're idiots. a bigger moron is the tard who ask us to diagnose a ps over the internet after the mom dropped it. The stupidity is mind boggling ! then they say "please help me" like a whiny biotch! total retard!

wow... someone got triggered @peterortiz2012

Get a hover and open it it is because it is the dirt inside get a hover and get the dirt from the back off your ps3

this is so so stupid. It was THROWN OUT a FN Window!!!! it could be a million things. just buy a F^%King new one. And you idiots stop trying to figure out over the internet what it is.

I am trying to fix mine too. Dont worry i have a spare ps3 to pkay with. Im fixing it as it is a hobby of mine like many others on this site. Your comments do not help anyone, it just shows your stupidity and that you are childish.

yea its cheaper to fix it then buy a new one, you're just to stupid to fix it yourself

Don't know if this helps anyone but this happed to my PS3 super slim so I bought a new one, but I was curious to see if I could repair the old one. Firstly I took the HDD out the the one with the problem and installed it on the new one. HDD worked fine even though the second system insisted on formatting it. I ordered thermal paste, another PSU and a can of compressed air. I took the whole thing apart, blew all the dust out with the compressed air and cleaned off the old thermal paste with 99% alcohol , applied new thermal paste, swapped the PSU and put it all back together. Result; Exactly the same problem. So this to me says a couple of things, unless I got a replacement PSU with exactly the same problem, the fault is probably on the motherboard and is NOT shutting down due to over heating either. Probably some component has failed or heat-separated from the board. If you also search the web you will find lots of people asking the same question but no concrete answer, so again this leads me to believe it's a motherboard failure of some sort, which if correct is pretty bad and shows shoddy work by Sony since I've seen so many reports of this online.

Paul will be eternally grateful.