Kindle 2

Amazon's second generation e-reader with a 6'' e-ink display, five-way controller, and QWERTY keyboard.

My Kindle is charged, but will not turn "on"?

My Kindle is charged, but will not turn "on"? It suddenly stopped working. The green light luminating the "on" switch doesn't come on and the Kindle doesn't respond which I slide this "on" switch.

I have a Kindle Fire and it had the same problem, just hold the power button down until the screen comes on again, even if the power button is not lit up green...

by Kelsey is Kawaii

It worked for me! Thanks for the info :)

by prisjohn2

It also worked for me also. JK

by John Kelly

It's not working for me at all, hold the button for like a minut and still nothing

by babiedarling

I have a reading kindle from Amazon, and I charged it, but it is stuck on the "needs to be charged" screen. It is charged, but it will not turn on. Help?

by Paige Andersen

Most Helpful Answer

Reboot your kindle, to do so, you need to hold the power switch for about 30 seconds, but it will show you when it's time, it'll say that it's rebooting and there will be a progress bar, as when you first set it up.

thanks a lot it works

by riyaz natakkar

thank you. i actually took mine in and they said there was nothing they could do. came home, saw this, tried it and it worked. you're my hero!!!

by Red

this worked thanks

by bill

It worked for me too! Thank you

by caroline

Thanks a tonn, it worked for me as well.

by Vivek Kakkar

My Kindle (3?) would not turn on after the screen froze and I did a hard shut down. I used a combination of solutions above to fix it. I held the power button for about thirty seconds, getting the flashing green power light about 7 seconds in and then a flicker of the screen about 25 seconds in. The screen remained blank after that and I let the power button go. I then held down the Alt and R keys simultaneously and the Kindle began rebooting. It is now up and running with all of the contents that were there prior to the hiccup.

Magic fix! Thank you! I thought my Kindle was a goner.

by Mary Jayaraman

Alt and R worked. Thanks

by idurka

Alt and

R worked. Thank you.

by Marcia Wrang

If holding the switch for an extended time does not work, take a deep breath and resist the urge to fling your Kindle against the wall. Then find a safe place where the unit will not be touched and leave it for 3-4 days. You may need to wait for as much as a week. Once the battery has lost some or all of its charge, try plugging it in to recharge again. No promises, but when my screen froze this worked. The idea came from my daughter, who has similar issues with her iPod from time to time.

Good luck!

i was having trouble thanks i did what u said its working thanks

by andmadera

My kindle wouldn't respond, so I left it overnight. It still didn't respond, I dropped it on the carpet, then it started rebooting ! Just needed a bit of a shock to bring it back to life ! Good luck

by Kerry porter

Holding the button down worked for me too

by Nathan Feld

my kindle isnt working it wont turn on and before when i turned it on i couldnt read it everything was faded away mine is the oldest model.

by deedee

We're on holidays and my husbands kindle wouldn't turn on. Found this site. Thanks Kerry Porter my husband tried your dropping trick. It worked!!!

by Fiona Stenton

There's a good guide on how to fix this here: http://techzwn.com/2011/04/kindle-wont-s...

For Help & Support Call Toll Free 1-888-502-0597.

Help & Support for Kindle

SOLUTION for power button not working,

Take apart your Kindle by watching this video (or another one if you have different model): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpdMFIs0...

Clean and brush thoroughly metal components around and behind the power button, as well as related parts on the motherboard. Put it back together.

If this doesn't help, you can just turn off your screensaver, so you won't need your power button:

Get out of sleep mode by removing your battery, or by connecting your Kindle to computer by USB cable.

On Kindle 3, go to the home screen, press Del Sym, type ";debugon" and press enter. You will now be in debug mode.

Again, press Del Sym and then type "~disableScreensaver". You now have disabled screensaver. To enable it again, you will need to press Del Sym and then type "~resumeScreensaver". To get out of debug mode, type ";debugoff".

NOTE: you do not enter the quotation marks!

On Kindle Touch, just enter "~ds" in a search box, you don't have to get into debug mode. You are disabling screensaver and sleep mode by doing this, your power button will stop working as well. To enable it, restart your Kindle by using Menu. I don't know the command.

P.S. Note that disabling sleep mode will cause more battery drain.

I hope it helps.

YES. My Touch now works without first plugging into a computer.

by Rob z

although my Kindle is charged, it seems not to turn on when I slide the on switch to the right.

Suggest you slide and HOLD the switch to the right for 15 or 20 seconds. You should get a green light which may turn on then off during that 20-30 seconds. Mine starts to work normally after that and the screen starts up with "Mark Twain's" image or others.

Hope that helps. Al

Hi my "kindle 3" was with the same problem.

Problem:

after normally battery charge it does not start any more, no video, no led green. Switching on the green led blinking 2 times before go off automatically.

Solution:

holding sw "on/off" for aprox. 20 secs the kindle start normally.

Many thanks,

I have the same problem with my Kindle 3 (alias Kindle keyboard) and I had tried to hold the power switch button for 20 to 30 seconds but it did not work! Bummer!

It sounded like I have to power-cycle the device. I guess I have to open it up, test the power-switch, then power-cycle the device if the switch is good.

There is a guide that shows how you can open up this kindle on this site.

held my on/off switch for 30secs....yipee it's working again....thank you.

by loo

how open my kindle for rewelding thew conector of power

I have the same problem...

I am getting really frustrated with my Kindle 3 also, it wont even show the screen!!!

Thank you so much! !! I held it for thirty seconds, its back :-) Whew, thought I lost everthing on my Kindle Light, which i just purchased! !!!

that has happened to me and the light wont even turn on when i slide and release and it is frozen on a screen saver of anna christine with a whole bunch of black and white shapes covering part of it up.

one way to fix it is to hold the alt shift and the r key at the same time for 3 sec

another way is to open it and take out the battery

the last way is to charge it again or hold the button for 30 seconds even with no light

im so sorry about you kindle and i hope this helps

I have gone through all of the solutions above with my Kindle model D00901. Resetting with the button and draining the battery did not work, but guess what did. Hold down the "Alt" button and the "R" simultaneously for a few seconds. Instant reboot with all files reloaded properly. Thanks so much for that little tip as I was about to go bonkers. This item is essential for my education.

Thanks for the help. My kindle 3G was not turning on and holding the power button for thirty seconds worked.

Wife dropped it on the carpet. Wouldn't start after recharging. I held the on/ off button down for the 20 - 30 seconds and it did restart. It has to reboot but just leave

alone for a minute or two.

i dont know what do my kindle wont work i tried and tried its not dead and i charged it all day and it still wont work what do i do it wont even come on

My kindle appears to be charging but when disconnected from the power source the green light does not come on . The front screen of the kindle is showing a very pale image of the "tree" and the kindle logo

That pale image is the Kindle e-ink screen saver image and will always be shown.(Standby mode)Does not use up any power to speak of. Less in fact than continually turning it fully on in fact.

When the device is OFF the green light is always off when disconnected. (Normal)

Suggest you read the instruction manual or at least the Quick Start Guide. ;-)

by peterhogan

My kindle will not turn on

I

Try resetting the Kindle.

Tutorial is here: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Kindle

That works for me. Good Luck.

I just had this problem too with my Kindle 3 (keyboard).

I forgot to close the window yesterday, and it got cold and the air was slightly damp while charging, so I thought I had completely broken it. I don't think anyone here mentioned that kind of condition in which it happened, but I thought I would - maybe it is a factor of why it happens and nobody thought about it.

Anyway, I had a standby-screen and holding down the power didn't do anything, and neither did anything else I did. So eventually, about to give up I actually found a solution mentioned nowhere else.

I just typed "reset" into the keyboard and hit OK - and it started to reboot!

(not the new-line button, but the one in the middle of the arrow keys)

I admit I didn't think it would work, it was just frustration which made me do it, but it worked :)

For Help & Support Call on (toll free) 1-888-502-0597

Screen also stopped working after plugging in the charger one day. Didn't know anything about this issue at the time, so I made the mistake of letting it fully charge in this state. I ended up having to let the Kindle discharge on its own and taking a whole 2 months to do so. I kept holding down the power button maybe 4 times to make sure it was totally discharged. After I made sure no power was present I plugged in the charger then the battery charging indicator came on. After 10-15 minutes the Kendle powered up fully functioning. Thanks to all that suggested this!!

Tried umpteen of these solutions for hours.

Eventually logged into amazon and trouble shooted Kindle e-readers - it found my device, (Kindle keyboard - if you are unsure, look on the back of your device at the bottom and find the model number - google it and it will tell you - however, when I logged into my amazon account it knew which model I had).

So held the power button for 40 seconds (who knew 10 seconds could make such a difference) - initially nothing, so went to next stage and plugged in to power - low and behold it rebooted. Took less than 5 minutes to solve the problem I had spent hours trying to sort.

Moral of the story - why google when you can trouble shoot at the manufacturers website.

Similar problem here.

I have been trying all of these solutions, for my friends Kindle Keyboard, since last night but nothing is working. I Googled straight to the manufacturers website but went around in circles trying to get information. I also tried a number of different forums. My screen is frozen on a page of a book I was reading but the screen has swapped itself to white writing on a black screen. no power light shows up while plugged into the computer or when moving the power slider. I have tried numerous lengths of times to hold the slider button, left it rest for varying lengths of time between reboot tries, and am now in the process of leaving it for the weeks (or however long it takes) for it to drain itself down in power.

The only thing I haven't done is open the Kindle up and do the operation stuff!

None of these solutions has worked yet :-( Frustrating that it has happened at the exciting end of a book and now I can't find out how it ends.....

You must take the help of Kindle customer services if you have charging problems with the device. We encourage you to call our support team Toll Free 1-800-942-6509 in case you are in trouble.

Shirley will be eternally grateful.