"The worlds smallest 15.6-inch laptop packs powerhouse performance and a stunning InfinityEdge display all in Dell's most powerful XPS laptop."

How to fix the heatsink screws hold-downs?

In my Dell XPS 9550, I have noticed that two of my 6 heatsink screws hold-downs are out from the motherboard, causing the heatsink part near to the GPU loose, accordingly, less contact with the GPU and less heat dissipation.

I need to know how to fix these screws hold-ups again to the motherboard with a kind of glue that can withstand the high temperature generated by the GPU during load time.

I have found over the internet that it is a common issue for XPS 9550. This is a link of the picture that might give a better understanding of my issue., which I found over the internet as well.

Most Helpful Answer

Hi @h_amak ,

I don’t know your laptop but was wondering if it may be better to see if you can use a suitably sized nut/star washer and bolt arrangement to hold down the heatsink. That way you won’t have to worry about the heat problems

This of course depends on whether there is enough space under the systemboard to accommodate either the nut or the bolt head, depending on which way it was installed. It may have to be insulated as it passes through the hole (not sure about that) to prevent any possible electrical problems.

Here’s a link to the service manual for your laptop (taken from this webpage which may be of some help. Scroll down to p.50 to view the necessary pre-requisite steps and then the procedure to remove the systemboard.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer my question, it is really appreciated.

I have thought about that, but then I have to completely remove the motherboard to fix the nuts, which is not easy, and I'm afraid to do more damage than fix in this case.

I have found over the internet that epoxy glue withstands temperature up to 150 degrees Celsius, which would be more than enough in my case (looking for around 90 degrees Celsius at max). So I guess I would give this a try!

Thanks again for your input.

Hi @h_amak ,

OK,

You could always have the bolt facing up and the nut on top that would make it easier to install. You'd still have to remove the systemboard to insert the bolt but I can understand why you may not want to do this.

Good luck with the repair - be sure to allow enough time for the epoxy to "cure" before you test it out.

Thank you for the advice.

The corresponding nut for the screw is press-fit into the board. Your best bet is to glue it down. Believe it or not, the gel type of superglue should work the best. Be careful not to get any of the glue inside of it though.

An epoxy may work, but being thicker, may be more difficult to get in place to work effectively. Completely remove the heat sink to give yourself room to work and try the super glue.

Let us know how you make out.

Dan

Haitham will be eternally grateful.