Parts & Tools

{A1989 / EMC3214}—Released in July 2018, the 13" MacBook Pro features quad-core i5 and i7 processors and Intel Iris Plus integrated graphics.

Is it possible to upgrade Memory (RAM) and Storage (SDD) later?

I am thinking of buying a MacBook Pro 13" TB 2018 with 8GB RAM and 512GB SDD, and after an of a bit of searching, I found upgrading them both i.e. 8GB to 16GB/32GB RAM & 512GB to 1TB/2TB SDD will be cheaper than going with purchasing high-end models of the Pro models. Is the new MacBook Pro customizable in the future with iFixit guides?

I had done the same with my current Mac Book Pro 13" Late 2011 with the help of iFixit guides and its working perfectly ever since, but will it be possible for the current newer generation MacBook Pro?

Regards,

AS

Can i take my macbook pro 2018 to apple store to have the RAM upgraded or is that also not a possibility?

Unfortunately, they would not be able to upgrade the RAM at the Apple store.

Has anyone priced the upgraded motherboard? is that even worth doing??

Ammol,

Unfortunately in 2015 apple decided that their computers will no longer be able to be upgraded, as both the RAM and the SSD are soldered to the motherboard. The only way to upgrade those parts would involve replacing the entire motherboard.

In the teardown you can see the SSD highlighted in yellow, and the RAM highlighted in green.

I hope this helps,

Charlie B

Charlie,

Thanks for your answer. Really helps, looks like I have pour down all my money on this piece of hardware. Does this also mean if and in case anyone damages any part of this machine, there is no such reparable option left other than to take it to apple service?

Anmol, While it would be possible for a third party repiar shop to fix the machine, it would probably be in your best interest to buy the extended apple warranty, since repairs through anyone will get extremely expensive.

this is a prime example of where the "Right to repair" law should be useful. Why is my ageing MacBook Air more upgradeable than a new one? only three components can prolong the life of any computer with several years. RAM, HDD, CPU. everything else is not really needed for 2-4 years more use.

Hi @anmols ,

MacBook Pros have changed drastically since your 2011 edition. Everything is soldered onto the motherboard in the MacBook Pro 2018. The RAM and “SSD” are now merely memory chips on a motherboard. Nothing is user-replaceable. Take a look at our teardown for full details.

Hi @arthurshi,

You have to begin thinking or wondering… Why do I patronize Apple? I can’t upgrade anything. I’m locked into their ecosystem. They are constantly taking things away that I value (and I’m the Customer!) They tell me what I need, when to eat, and what to wear…..

Is it me or is does this seem like an abusive relationship… LoL!

Yeah, I think the same way. I just bought a Macbook PRO second-hand and now realized why it was sold. It was my first Apple Computer and probably the last one.

I’ve been pegging out my 2018 MBP RAM 24/7 due to doing JavaScript development, so I am running VS Code, webpack, and four instances of Chrome for various reasons. Once I get around 20 tabs open, the 16GB RAM is pegged out, and then every time I refresh a page, it takes like 5-10 sec because I have browser caching disabled.

This is of course horrific because I am developing, so I am saving JavaScript files every 5-30 sec and reloading the page. It takes sometimes like 30-45 sec to refresh the page, make a one character change in a file, save, and reload the page again. It makes me feel like I’m back in the year 1999 with 24 megs of RAM.

This laptop is only a year old, and if I had known it can’t even handle normal software engineering loads, I would have forced my company to buy the 32GB version. Lately I was thinking about buying one of the new Apple towers with 28 cores and capability of 1.5TB RAM. They’re $5k which is expensive but that kind of power would be viable for the next decade.

Now I’m !#^&@@ though that I can’t even swap my 16GB chip out for a 32GB. I’m going to build my own computer; I’m gonna make a hackintosh and also just not use OSX if they ever figure out a way to prevent it from loading on my machine. And to be clear, I was going to just stick with the Apple tower because it makes it easy to run OSX fully legal, but now I’m going to take a different path, one that involves punishing Apple for crippling my laptop’s viability as a docked mobile workstation.

The sociopathic intent of Apple is clear. I can’t support a company like that. I’ll give them the right to repair trust, but it will take major effort on their part. In the meantime, I’ll keep pulsing anti-Apple sentiments out on every information medium.

I'm in the same situation, I just jumped in the Apple world in a $2k machine and starting to be sorry. My "PRO" machine can't be used for my PROfession and neither upgraded. Probably I'll go back to thick laptops with Windows or Linux.

yeah this sucks, looks like I will get a mac pro, like suggested above, and maybe keep my 2011 mbp.. i7 32gb RAM and 1tb on dual ssds (removed the disk drive for a 2nd ssd) fantastic machine until apple stopped updates..

I'm waiting for the new Mac Pro 2019 to come down in price, it's fully upgradable.

https://beetstech.com/product/solid-stat...

SSD can be upgraded with this original apple SSD…

Anmol S will be eternally grateful.