{A1989 / EMC3214}—Released in July 2018, the 13" MacBook Pro features quad-core i5 and i7 processors and Intel Iris Plus integrated graphics.

Is it possible to upgrade Memory (RAM) and Storage (SDD) later?

I am thinking of buying a MacBook Pro 13" TB 2018 with 8GB RAM and 512GB SDD, and after an of a bit of searching, I found upgrading them both i.e. 8GB to 16GB/32GB RAM & 512GB to 1TB/2TB SDD will be cheaper than going with purchasing high-end models of the Pro models. Is the new MacBook Pro customizable in the future with iFixit guides?

I had done the same with my current Mac Book Pro 13" Late 2011 with the help of iFixit guides and its working perfectly ever since, but will it be possible for the current newer generation MacBook Pro?

Regards,

AS

iPhone X Fix Kits

Warranty up? No worries, we’ve got the fix.

iPhone X Fix Kits

Ammol,

Unfortunately in 2015 apple decided that their computers will no longer be able to be upgraded, as both the RAM and the SSD are soldered to the motherboard. The only way to upgrade those parts would involve replacing the entire motherboard.

In the teardown you can see the SSD highlighted in yellow, and the RAM highlighted in green.

I hope this helps,

Charlie B

Charlie,

Thanks for your answer. Really helps, looks like I have pour down all my money on this piece of hardware. Does this also mean if and in case anyone damages any part of this machine, there is no such reparable option left other than to take it to apple service?

Anmol, While it would be possible for a third party repiar shop to fix the machine, it would probably be in your best interest to buy the extended apple warranty, since repairs through anyone will get extremely expensive.

this is a prime example of where the "Right to repair" law should be useful. Why is my ageing MacBook Air more upgradeable than a new one? only three components can prolong the life of any computer with several years. RAM, HDD, CPU. everything else is not really needed for 2-4 years more use.

Hi @anmols ,

MacBook Pros have changed drastically since your 2011 edition. Everything is soldered onto the motherboard in the MacBook Pro 2018. The RAM and “SSD” are now merely memory chips on a motherboard. Nothing is user-replaceable. Take a look at our teardown for full details.

Hi @arthurshi,

https://beetstech.com/product/solid-stat...

SSD can be upgraded with this original apple SSD…

Can i take my macbook pro 2018 to apple store to have the RAM upgraded or is that also not a possibility?

Unfortunately, they would not be able to upgrade the RAM at the Apple store.

Anmol S will be eternally grateful.