Speak And Spell

The first Speak & Spell was introduced at the summer Consumer Electronics Show in June 1978, making it one of the earliest handheld electronic devices with a visual display to use interchangeable game cartridges.

Burnt after wrong voltage AC adapter.

Hi

My question is maybe absolutly dumb for someone who knows a bit about electronic devices but :

I used an 9V AC adapter instead of 6V in my speak and spell, which killed it. Is there a way to fix it or is it definitly over for the poor little creature ?

Please, try to answer something like "it's absolutly not a problem !"

Thanks a lot !

With electronics there is almost always a way to fix it. Mainly it comes down to cost effectiveness. Without looking at the board or the schematics it is hard to give you a firm answer as to how easy it will be or costly. You may try taking it apart and seeing if there is an obvious fuse in it. If there is one it would have fallen on it's sword to save the rest. If that doesn't work try running an add on Craigslist.org about getting it fixed some old man with nothing to do may do the repair for little to nothing. If nothing good comes from that, you could try the local TV repair shop. That was made before electronics really started getting miniaturized. Which may make things cheaper and easier. The damage should have been contained to the power circuit and not spread beyond that. I know really not the answer you are looking for. I don't know what those are worth but I don't see it going over the local TV repair shops minimum.

+ that's right, beat up on some old man trying to live off a social security check

by mayer

Not beating up on him. Just helping him get some money for bait to go fishing. Lord knows SS won't pay for that and the rent.

by ABCellars

Fishing? he can't afford the gas to get to the lake or the fishing permit. Sorry for being disgruntled but I just found out that MediCare will cost over $300 per month. That combined with my house taxes more than wipes out my Social Security check. Oh, the premium payments are taxable.

by mayer

The nhs has got it's faults but it's free for everyone....

by pollytintop

Those are classics and are still widely used for circuit bending as well as other interesting mods....got to love the classic.

by oldturkey03

Axel absolutely not a problem ;-)take a look at the attached images. I do not see any fuse or fusable link but that does not mean they are not there. Check the diodes on the power supply and see if they are okay. I also attached the schematic, just in case you can fix it. Parts should be readily available at companies like Mouser.com etc....good luck and have fun

+ excellent research

by mayer

Axel will be eternally grateful.