MacBook

The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

I have a coloured line down the middle of my screen, can I fix it?

A thin green line has appeared down the middle of my Macbook LCD screen that is about 2 pixels wide. Is it possible to fix it or does the screen need to be replaced?

I agree with mjuergens but if possible, it would be worth testing on an external monitor to ensure that this is actually the case.

In the case that the line appears on the external monitor it could be a graphics chip issue which would mean a logicboard replacement or maybe a graphics chip "reflow".

If not then you can replace just the LCD as per instructions on iFixit and source your LCD from the store or from somewhere like eBay.

TIP: When mounting the LCD into the macbook top lid ensure you wear latex gloves.

Most Helpful Answer

The problem is it's a line of dead pixels. The only way to resolve it is to have the screen replaced. Some people have tried apps that flash random colors and they claim if you have leave it running long enough it will fix it. My years of experience tell me otherwise.

Are you sure they are dead, they are all green?

by AussieMac

There are 3 sub-pixels ( Red, Green, Blue ) for each pixel. If the transistor that controls the pixel is not receiving power, it may only be passing light at that point. In your case, they are always green.

If you just don't care if it can get worse you can try to dissasemble the metal frame from the screen, not from the laptop but the screen itself.

First you can, with some care, try to press all around then edges of the screen.

If you are more desperate in some screens (I never did it on a Mac) you can clean the rubber that makes the contact between the glass and the board, but you need to completly dissasemble the screen.

What happens is that most of the times a complete line failing is a bad contact in one point and there is no power going to the line.

Of corse if you brake the screen you can end up with the same effect and this wont solve anything.

Well that happened to me, but mine's not a macbook. What i did was try to bend the screen. It worked fine, until i touched the screen again. I just kept doing that until it stopped working. :) hope it helps

i love you! My screen had these pixels running down the middle of the monitor and I bent my laptop screen and now there isnt the bugged pixels. I am so releaved, now I dont have to replace my laptop screen ty ty ty!

by Andrew Kyriacou

The issue is mostly likely with a bad LCD screen that needs to be replaced. Connecting a laptop to an external LCD screen doesn't always give you an accurate diagnosis for motherboard issues since the video output from the motherboard to the LCD screen and the external monitor port are often not the same.

it is a my touch phone it has camera and

it from tmobile

@unique, is this a question, answer or a comment?

by oldturkey03

I have the same problem except mine is a red line and is on the right side of the screen.

AussieMac will be eternally grateful.