The March 2015 update of Apple's 11" MacBook Air features fifth generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors, resulting in slightly increased performance and battery life.

How do I update firmware so new hard drive will work?

I am replacing the hard drive in my macbook air because the old one failed. I have installed the new drive but OS X Utilities can't see the new drive because I think the firmware needs to be updated. An instruction in the new hard drive package says:

"Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra (or later macOS) must be installed on the host computer before installing the Aura Pro X SSD. These versions included an EFI firmware update for your host computer. Without this update, your new Aura X Pro will not cunction once installed."

How do I update this so the computer can see the new drive? The old drive did not work so I am not sure how that would be an option.

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

Most Helpful Answer

How about leveraging Internet recovery! Then you can install the older OS onto the drive first so you can then update the firmware Or download the OS installer and then install the older OS onto a USB thumb drive to then run the firmware updater and Disk Utility to prep the drive.

How to reinstall macOS using either Command (⌘)-R or Shift-Option-Command-R. To prep a USB Thumb drive follow this guide: How to create a bootable macOS Sierra installer drive

Keep in mind High Sierra will upgrade the GUID Journaled file system to the newer GUID APFS. If you don’t want that you’ll need to install Sierra and stay with it. Or edit the OS installer script How to Skip Converting to APFS When Installing macOS High Sierra

I thought this would be a possibility, and I started the computer in recovery mode, but it seems the computer cannot see the new drive without the firmware update in place. I think the bootable external drive is going to be the way to go.

I have the exact same issue. The computer cannot see the new drive without the firmware update in place.

Did the external drive method work?

Where you guys able to get this resolved?

Charles Samuels will be eternally grateful.