Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

iPhone 7 rear camera and flash not working

iPhone 7 rear camera not working (it shows up black) and the flash/flashlight isn't working, anyone know of a fix?

(it's possible that the iPhone 7 was dropped)

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

The flash will not work if the rear camera has failed.

So the first thing to do is to try a known-good rear camera. That would solve both problems at the same time. If the replacement camera doesn't work, than you likely have an issue on the logic board. this would require a micro-soldering repair.

Check for a Micro tear in the Flex connector, I have had issues with erratic charging, No touch ID, Bootloop (Recovery mode) & overheating caused by a Microscopic tear in the flex.. I have just temporarily removed the flex connector & all of the issues above have dissappeared.. I now have no rear flash & I presume no rear camera until my replacement flex arrives

Occassionally the Rear Camera IC (U2501) can fail & stop supplying power to the Rear Camera

U2501 is located on the rear of the board (just above the Wi-Fi Module) a method of testing & temporarily bypassing the switching mode of the IC is to remove U2501 & solder a jumper wire between the pads A1 & A2 beneath the IC

This method should be temporay because it will supply power to the Rear camera permanently, even when the Rear Camera is not in use

Potentially resulting in increased Battery consumption & maybe shortening the life expectancy of the Rear camera itself?

(U2501 provides power to the Rear Camera whilst its being used & no power whilst the Camera isn’t in use?)

In addition Pad B2 is GND & Pad B1 is supplied via L1802 (Coil) which primarily provides the additional power for the autofocus feature

L1802 is part of the Buck9 line and is generated via the Main PMIC

Hopefully this will be of use to someone

One thing that could cause this is if the phone is too hot. Leave it for a while to cool down, and if that does not help, then try Minho’s answer

Jonathan Jaeger will be eternally grateful.