Parts & Tools

Released November 4, 2017. Model A1865, A1901. Available as GSM or CDMA / 64 or 256 GB / Silver or Space Gray. (Pronounced the same as "iPhone 10.")

Face ID not working after water exposure

I waded into some water (depth maybe 30cm above iPhone level), incorrectly assuming my phone would be fine. The phone shut off, and I just let it sit and dry out for the next few days. After turning it back on, the phone got very hot so I turned it off again.

After a week, it no longer got hot but got an occasional green vertical line. Again, phone off, and after half a week no more issues.

All functions of the phone now work, but FaceID does not work anymore. I took it to the Apple store, and whilst they said that all it would take would be to reseat the camera unit (or something along those lines), they would not work on it due to evidence of water damage.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated, if its an easy fix id like to get in there and sort it out! After all, FaceID is half the reason I love the new phone.

Cheers

Ish

I know this was posted a while ago but did you resolve the problem or no

i have exact the same issue. A the beginning the iPhone shot off and on automatically, so I forced shot off. After a day I turns on and get hot when I try to use it. Camera lenses at the front and back get dusty. 3D Touch working even with soft touch. After a few days with simcard out and try to dry with hairdryer on low temperature the lenses are clean and 3D Touch is working again normal. The only one not working is Face ID. At the beginning FaceTime did not work, now its back again. I hope Face ID will work again after a while.. someone had in this experience?

@condormann @jayeff Answer below explains in details what happened inside your iPhone and steps you should take if you want to have a reasonable chance to continue using it. What normally happens to water damages devices that have not been properly decontaminated is that they last a few weeks or months at best.

Manta Driver Kit

112 bits for every fix.

Upgrade Your Toolbox

Manta Driver Kit

Upgrade Your Toolbox

As you know water and electronics and electricity are not a good mix.

The impurities in the water causes corrosion and provides circuit paths for the electricity which were not in the phone's operating design and could damage the components.

First do not turn on your phone and then you need to with the phone turned off, remove the battery as soon as possible from the phone to minimize further damage.''

Then you need to dis-assemble the rest of the phone and clean all the affected parts using Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ (available from most pharmacies) to remove all traces of corrosion and water. Do not use "rubbing alcohol" as in some cases this is <70% IPA, can contain scents and is not as effective. If you do check the label to verify the amount

Here is a link that describes the process.

Electronics Water Damage

As always with electronics, especially surface mounted PCBs be gentle when handling and especially when brushing away the corrosion. You do not want to remove any components from the board.

Hopefully after you have done all this the phone might possibly work correctly again.

Here is a link to the ifixit iPhone X Repair guides, which may be of some help.

If this process seems too daunting, take your phone to a reputable, professional phone repair service, experienced in water damage repair and ask for a quote for a repair.

If you decide to do this, do it sooner than later.

is it ok for me to place the Face ID sensor in Isopropyl Alcohol?

Hi ,

It may be prudent to gently and thoroughly clean the sensor with a Q-Tip moistened with Isopropyl Alcohol rather than just dunking it in it.

I'm assuming that you have disconnected the sensor.

Did already disabled true depth cam work again after iso propyl clean up?? Im hesitant to open up my xs

I’m having the same issue I just bought it and I tried checking the water prove and I only left it for 5sec and the next thing my Face ID stop working doesn’t recognize my face, what can I do to this anyone please

ishmam.bari will be eternally grateful.

Past 24 Hours: 1,583