Model A1419 / EMC 3070 / Mid 2017 / 3.4, 3.5 or 3.8 GHz Core i5 or 4.2 GHz Core i7 Kaby Lake Processor (ID iMac18,3) / Retina 5K display. Refer to the older iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display (Late 2014 & 2015) guides as the system is very similar.

iMac 5k 2017 CPU upgrade to i7-8700k with the latest OS or Mojave?

Will the iMac 27" Mid 2017 support the new i7-8700k or better yet the i7-8086k processor? I want to upgrade to the best CPU it can handle but im still trying to get a grasp on Skylake vs. Kabylake vs. Coffeelake chipsets

Thanks !

-Zach

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

You are limited to the CPU’s Apple has used in their systems. The Systems EFI (BIOS) limits you as well as the TDP of the chip.

So here is the 2017 iMac models: iMac18,3

The best CPU Apple offered is a i7-7700K which has a TDP of 91W and uses a FCLGA1151 socket.

The two CPU’s you were looking at here:

Both have a TDP of 95W and also uses a FCLGA1151 socket. Again, Apple’s EFI won’t support either and the TDP is a bit high from what Apple has used.

If we look at one of the Xeon W-2145 CPU’s the iMac Pro uses we can see the TDP is 140W so I’m suspecting the newer cooling system and power supplies is a requirement for these higher TDP CPU’s in this frame.

My guess is Apple will be intro’ing newer systems in the fall which might include newer iMac’s which are using the more powerful CPU’s and I bet you they will likely use the newer cooling design the iMac Pro. We’ll need to wait and see.

Coffee Lake will never run on 2017 models. These Macs has a Z170 chipset and Coffee needs Z370.

That is so disappointing. I thought I’d be able to swap in a 6-core into my 2017 5k

you can, I swear the Moderators here work for apple....

zackattack011 will be eternally grateful.