Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

All earphones not working even though chargers do

Hello there, I have an iPhone 7, with 128 GB. I haven't been paying it much attention recently, but I think it might be failing me somehow. It has about 35 GB of memory left, but its performance has been so bad the past few days. For instance, the camera often freezes, sometimes does not take a picture although everything looks like and feels like I've snapped one, the camera lags and freezes up when I try to switch camera, the Apple Maps suddenly stopped working - everything resulted in a 'No suggestions found' and walking navigation did not work as well (but it fixed itself a few hours later when all I did was surf some sites and watched 2 predownloaded episodes of Netflix). I thought it might be a memory issue as I have been travelling and I did not have time to backup all of my photos and videos (pretty sure it's the only thing taking up 80% of the memory) and I tried to use the 'iPhone Storage' function but it often freezes up or become unresponsive or when the screen goes black it just goes back to the home screen when I unlock it again.

The biggest problem that I wish to talk about is (I mentioned the above just in case someone knows if it's linked altogether or if I probably just need to get a new one or do a hard reset or something...)

So currently, my earphones/earbuds don't work. They are the ones issued along with the iPhone itself. I have 1 that came with this iPhone 7, which only has the lightning jack as well as my older one from my iPhone 5S or 6 (can't remember) as well as the audio jack to lightning adapter that came with this iPhone 7. Both of them do not work, and instead, the audio is played from the iPhone speakers when I plug any of the earbuds in. The earbuds do work as I have just tried them on a computer. The lightning dock does work as well as I managed to charge it through the wall last night, as well as from a portable charger while I am on the go.

Currently, I have only tried restarting the iPhones and hard restarting it. Also, trying to clear the lightning dock of debris (if any), as well as tracing both my audio cables to look for any breakage of sorts, but the older cable does work as I plugged it into another audio source. Any help would be really appreciated!

iPhone X Fix Kits

Warranty up? No worries, we’ve got the fix.

iPhone X Fix Kits

Most Helpful Answer

Try to Restore it with iTunes with the latest software. If the problem is the same so you have to reball the Audio IC and make a jumper C12 with R1103.

I have no idea how to do any of those things :/

Ohh, to restore it go on youtube and type iphone 7

Sorry, go to youtube type iphone 7 restore with itunes tutorial and you have a lot of videos that will show you how to do it step by step (it's not a hard thing), as for the other solution it is better if you send it to a good microsoldering technican to do the job (audi ic and the jumper), i hope you can fix it only by restoring it

Jessa from iPad rehab has an amazing tutorial on how to do this.

Sounds like the typical "audio ic" component failing on your device. It either starts with your ear speaker failing or your charging port not outputting audio. This is a repair that require someone that knows how to solder.

If you want to ship your phone out i can get you in contact with someone that has done a phenomenal job with all the work i've sent him thus far. (Touch ic, backlight filters, audio ic, etc)

The usual test for seeing if u have the audio ic issue is the following 2 symptoms

• Long boot time, takes ages for the phone to start up
  • In the voice memos app on the phone u cant record a voice memo will say something along the lines of no playback devices available etc

If you have those 2 symptoms its likely u have the audio ic issue caused by the phone flexing, it is a repairable fault however requires microsoldering

If you dont have those 2 symptoms then try cleaning the port make sure the headphones or the adapter plugs cleanly inside the port should be a small gap about 1mm o so all around any more and u might have something stuck in the port :)

Pls help me. Everything works normally, including the microphone, except for the headphone adapter that I connected. The headphone adapter works because I tested it on other devices. The device also charges and transfers pictures normally and I have also cleaned out debris.

Headphone adapters are very very flimsy in my opinion so I wouldn't recommend trying anything else till u try a genuine replacement adapter... cheap copy adapters stop working after software updates etc or just dont work in general

the headphone adapters work on all other devices however, so is there anything that I can do to make it work.

So I’ve got the same problem but voice recording through the app works fine. So is it something else causing the problem?

Phone charges fine, just doesn’t recognise any headphones are connected.

This is the same issue as mine. All works fine apart from headphone detection when plugged in.

I bought another 7 Plus for the time being but will probably send my old one off for audio IC repair.

When I do if it fixes it I will update here.

Headphones not working the first point to check would be are u using an adapter and tested headphones is the adapter original... try another adapter and headphones copy adapters like the first copy lightning cables do just stop working after a while. Failing that try a new charging port, it doesn't matter if charging still works.

I have also similar issue in iphone 7. After the new update i cannot hear any phone calls even there ringtone. Youtube is working fine. You can play music from library. Headset is not working. External bluetooth headset working fine during calls.

everything fine before the update. Phone has not dropped at all. There is no any physical damage from outside. Apple store said whole unit need to replace.

i have already restore to factory setting but still not work.

Please comment below is there any-cheap way to fix

This is a well documented problem. Your audio IC has failed. Specifically, the solder joint has broken away from the trace on the logic board. Updates will likely surface an already existing issue.

please help. I also have same problem with my iphone 7. phone charging normally,no derbies in port, but earphones not working when i increse the volume with button it shows volume instead of ringer help me if my charging flex is short or audio ic is faulty?

My 7 failed after iOS 12.3 update. Was working fine prior but after update I had slow boot and no voice memo recording. The usual audio IC failure indications. Had it repaired and sorted.

also have a 7 Plus and like OP have no headphone detection but earpods and jack adapter work ok in other iPhones.

Did a very quick dock port swop, still same but wonder if I did this too quick now as was rushed. No audio IC symptoms showing up and have not read anything about the link between audio iC and headphone detection though not ruling it out.

anybody else got any suggestions?

If the audio IC is bad then it absolutely will not detect headphones. The audio IC is responsible for sending pulse width modulation (PWM) patterns to the CPU and other components and without that frequency, nothing works. Headphones are just the beginning.

@ Chris Storer

thanks for that answer. It appears to be another audio IC job then for me. 3rd in about 3 weeks.

I will investigate this one further snd report bsck my findings.

Cheers

Zi Jing will be eternally grateful.